cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batch Rename ply ID's

Experimenter
Experimenter

Is there a fast way to rename multiple plies. For instance I create plies P001 through P010 In SEQ. A and a step value of 20. I discover I need to create a new ply which would be P011but it needs to be the first ply down. So I need to rename all the plies. I want P011 to become P001. Manually renaming is cumbersome and prone to error of course.

Thanks

5 REPLIES

Re: Batch Rename ply ID's

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hi crazyhorse,

What you are looking for is called patterned input.  First you need to sort the ply list the way you want it.  In your example, either use the Composite Sequence Manager or manually resequence P011 such that it is the first ply in the stackup (lowest step value).  Then:

1. Sort your ply list by step by clicking on the column heading
  2. Select all plies to be renamed (CTRL+A works)
  3. Modify them (right click > Modify)
  4. Double-check that the order is correct by reading the names in the title bar of Fibersim  - it should read P011, P001, etc.
  5. For Name, enter "P001,1" for the patterned input
    1. The text before the "," (P001) will be the name of the first object
    2. The number after the "," (1) will be the increment that will be applied to name subesequent objects
  6. Hit Enter and the name should go back to <Different> indicating that the renaming was done - the title bar should now reflect the correct names
  7. Hit Ok and you're done!

Patterned input also works for Step, so you can adjust all step values to a common increment when you are ready to release your part.

Experimenter
Experimenter
Thank you that was helpful

Dan Hoelter
NC programming
Work 314-264-3621
Daniel.hoelter@usa.gknaerospace.com
GKN Aerospace
142 McDonnell Blvd.
Hazelwood, Mo. 63042

WARNING: This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., SEQ 2751 ET SEQ) or the Export Administration Act (Title 50, U.S.C., APP 2401-2420). Violations of these export laws are subject to severe criminal penalties.
This e-mail is strictly confidential and intended solely for the addressee. It may contain information which is covered by legal, professional, or other privilege. If you are not the intended addressee you must not use, disclose, or copy this transmission. This E-mail is not intended to impose nor shall it be construed as imposing any legally binding obligation upon any of the GKN group of companies ("GKN"), and/or any subsidiaries thereof or associated companies thereof. Neither GKN nor any subsidiaries thereof or associated companies thereof gives any representation or warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the contents of this E-mail. GKN shall not be held liable to any person resulting from the use of any information contained in this E-mail and shall not be liable to any person who acts or omits to do anything in reliance upon it. Unendorsed export or re-export is prohibited.

Experimenter
Experimenter

is there a way to do patterned re-naming to follow an alphabetical pattern? I want a group of plies to follow a P010-A, P010-B, P010-C... pattern.

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Absolutely.  Just use an @ instead of a numbered increment.  In your example, you'd put in "10-A,@".  For more information on patterned input, check out this article.

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter
If you use P#-A,@ where # is a ply number and A is your numeric designator then a comma and @ symbol this should accomplish your renaming.
Leigh Hudson
twitter: @Composites_Pro