cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export ply information from CPD Catia V5 and import into fibersim

Experimenter
Experimenter

Dear community members,

I would like to  know  the procedure to export the excel-ply information from CPD V5 and after that import this excel file into fibersim.

There are a specific eexcel format?

Thank you for your time

Jorge Ignacio 

6 REPLIES

Re: Export ply information from CPD Catia V5 and import into fibersim

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hi Jorge,

To generate an excel file with the proper format from Fibersim, go to File > Export > Ply Export to Excel.  You can do this with an empty part, but it would be best to set up your laminate first, since you can't import that.  Then simply fill out the columns in the excel file with the appropriate values.  For reference, here are the column headings Fibersim supports:

Ply                        
  Name Sequence Step Orientation Laminate Rosette Material Origin Net Boundary Curve Ext Boundary Curve Net Holes

Ext Holes

You'll need to make sure that any material you are importing already exists in the Fibersim MaterialsDB.xml file.  For the curve and origin information, you should be able to just enter the geometry names from the CATIA spec tree.  On import Fibersim will scan the spec tree for geometry with those names and link them to the imported plies.

On the CPD side, I believe there is a way to export a ply list, though I'm not sure of the exact commands.  If you can get this list in excel, then you should be able to simply transform it to the Fibersim format and import it into Fibersim.

Hope that helps,

Nathan Kaufman

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you very much! I have already achieved import/export excel files into fibersim.
Now, the problem is that we need to export from CPD (catia V5) the name of the ply curve and the name of the origin of the ply. Do you know how can do it automatically?

excel file.PNG

Maybe the xml export / import file is a better option. Do you know if is it posible to import CPD xml file into fibresim? if yes? Could you explain to me  the procedure?

Kind regads

Jorge

Hi Jorge,

The xml import into Fibersim will not link up to geometry.  You need to already have geometric links in the 
Fibersim format for the geometry to hook up (i.e. create an xml export from an existing Fibersim dataset).  The excel import is definitely your best bet.

As far as an automated way to generate the file with the contours, I'm not aware of anything out of the box in CATIA.  You could write a VB script, but provided you are using standard CPD ply names (which creates standardized contour names), it is likely easier just to use excel to create the data with patterned filling of the contour names.  It's possible that a CPD power user would be able to provide a better way to generate the list of boundary curves, but the process we have used relied on generating this data within excel.

-Nathan

Experimenter
Experimenter
Sorry Nathan. maybe I can't explain very well. The question is, What is the procedure to export the standard CPD ply names to excel file? . The methods that I know does't export the file name curves.
The information that CPD usually sport to excel file is:
PlyGroup Sequence Ply Material Direction Rosette Surface Draping Ply ID
LAM001 Sequence.1 P001 ABS5038 0 ROS001 Fill.1 T 1
LAM001 Sequence.2 P002 ABS5038 45 ROS001 Fill.1 T 2

Maybe there is a options in CPD that I don't know. Do you Know one?
Thank you for your time
Kind regards
Jorge

Hi Jorge,

I do not know of any automated way to get the curve names for the ply boundaries out of CPD.  If you have someone familiar with VB, you can write a macro in CATIA to do this, but otherwise that is a manual step.

-Nathan

Experimenter
Experimenter

We've had  similar requirement and were able to partially solve it through XML.

The CPD XML export does provide the information you need, and an xml transform can reformat it to give you a Fibersim Excel import file. (Excel and Google can very quickly teach you how to do this) 

However, there were a few issues in the CPD version we were using:

1. CPD did not have the concept of a ply origin.  We got around this by assigning a producibility origin and using that instead to populate the Fibersim side
  2. While standard plies were fine, CPD handles plies with cutouts by creating multi-domain curves.  We had to explode these by domain and manually assign the resulting curves to the ply boundary and hole entries in the Fibersim Excel.  A little vb scripting should be able to automate this if you are dealing with large numbers of parts.