Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Fibersim data into FEA software

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

I am a new user to Fibersim, and want to use it with finite element analysis. I think I am not quite clear on the workflow about how FEA software is connected to Fibersim. Could anyone give me a help? Really appreciate.

I have my Fibersim installed in Catia V5, and the FEA software I have are Abaqus, ls-DYNA and Ansys. What I want to do is to create the geometry in Catia and composite layup in Fibersim. Then export the geometry and composite data. In Abaqus, I import the Fibersim file, so that I have the geometry and composite material information in my model. But I am not sure if it works in this way as I think? could anyone give me a hint?

When I export the Fibersim data, I got H5 file which can't be imported in Abaqus. So I am quite confused now, how composite layup information is imported into the finite analysis software. Any help is appreciated.

Melissa

4 REPLIES

Re: Import Fibersim data into FEA software

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hi Melissa,

You almost have the correct process, but you will also need to create a mesh of your layup surface in Abaqus before importing the composite data.  Once you have a mesh, you can import the Fibersim data, which populate it with the material properties from Fibersim.

However, as you say, Abaqus cannot import an h5 file.  If you are using Fibersim 15.2, there is a new export format called MSC Layup that will generate a .layup file.  This should be able to be imported into Abaqus.  If you are using an earlier version of Fibersim you can use the MSC Laminate Modeler export, which creates the same data split into a .fmd and .fml file.  I believe Abaqus can also import these files, but it is a legacy format.

Hope that helps.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Nathan,

Thank you for your information, that is really helpful. As you mensioned, I created the mesh for my surface in Abaqus. 

I use Fibersim 15, and I can export it into two files (.fmd and .fml). But it seems I couldn't import it into Abaqus through regular method ( "import" or "run script"). Should I import these two files using a particular method? Thank you very much.

Melissa

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hi Melissa,

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with Abaqus to direct you how to import the fmd and fml files.  However, there is a third option - also available in Fibersim 15.  You can use the Generic Format BDF export, which maps the Fibersim data to an existing BDF mesh, then creates an export file with all the PCOMP (or PCOMPG) cards populated.  To use this export:

1. Export your Abaqus mesh as a bdf file
  2. In Fibersim go to File > Export > Analysis - Ply > Generic Format BDF and Create New
  3. Link your Abaqus BDF as the input file
  4. Use the show centroids option to ensure that it lines up with your Fibersim surface
  5. If you want to retain the layer information as global ply ids, select the PCOMPG option
  6. Export

You should then be able to re-import this file into Abaqus and get the fully populated mesh.

Experimenter
Experimenter

thank you, Nathan, for your replies, i think it will work soon.