Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Propagation Method

Im trying to determine the best propagation method in a part that is using unidirectional material and has a lot of curvature to it.

I was also wondering if there is a way to keep the producibility simulation running when selecting the points when doing a slit dart.
6 REPLIES

Re: Propagation Method

Hi Nicholas,

Typically the propagation method that produces the least deformation for uni material is To Curve: Geodesic.  This will follow the natural curvature of the part along the propagation direction rather than steering the material.  If you want the fibers to follow a specifc path, then you should override the constraint with a CAD curve.  Keep in mind, this will steer the material and may induce extra deformation.  A third option is to use the Spine simulation method.  The difference between this and the using a CAD constraint curve is deformation that is produced by steering will be localized to the region of highest curvature, then relaxed when the steering is less severe.  

Whichever method you choose, it is critical that you communicate the layup procedure to/from the shop floor.  If you have limited control over how the tech will lay up the part, then it is probably best to use a Geodesic constraint.  If the propagation used in Fibersim does not match the real world, then the resulting flat pattern will not fit.

Finally, there is no way to interact with Fibersim while the simulation is running.  Unfortunately, you have to let it complete before you can go create other objects like darts.

Hope that helps,

Nathan Kaufman

Very helpful, thanks. I was also wondering if there is a way to customise the propagation method. I noticed that the traditional method and the geodesic method is not really the way the techs actually perform the layup. The way the techs layup is they will lay the ply over the top of the tool surface and then work down the front and back surfaces. Using the geodesic method shows deformation on the top surface due to the curvature of the part. How exactly do i get this method to curve like the part does so the entire top surface is down before the front and back surface goes down?

You can achieve that using a First Stage Region. Create a closed curve that represents the top surface which is laid down first and assign it as the first stage region in the simulation options. Fibersim will then fully solve that region before progressing down the sides.

Thanks! I really appreciate the support. That First Stage Region was exactly what I was looking for.

Hello, so Im reasearching propagation methods specifically to automated fiber placement.  Does fibersim provide strategies for that or is it just handlayup and tape laying?  

Hello,

Fibersim supports fiber placement through our Fiber Placement Interface. First, the interface allows you to generate fiber placement data files from Fibersim. These files represent part layup surfaces, ply definitions, ply orientation information and the unique fiber placement entities that each supported machine requires. Then after exporting to the path planning software of your choice, you can import from the planning software, including course centerlines and boundary information. Within the import interface, you can validate that the manufactured part meets your design requirements by allowing you to review the imported post-processing manufacturability data, including fiber angle deviation, radius of curvature, roller height and collision avoidance angle.