cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defining robots from native CAD files in RobotExpert

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

I'm trying to import robot's available geometry from native CAD file format (IGS, STP).

I can import CAD assemblies as "Robot" (File conversion > Base class-resource & Component class-Robot).
After that I get flexible manipulators' model in object tree browser.

But the geometry is unavailable in Robotics tab.

Is it possible to design robots' virtual model using CAD geometries? How to achieve it?

Pawel

7 REPLIES

Re: Defining robots from native CAD files in RobotExpert

Creator
Creator
Hi,

I think you need to setup the kinematics for your robot model using kinematics editor. There should be some tutorials in your RE-installation folder about setting the kinematics for the devices.

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hi,

There are two alternatives to get a "working" robot model:

1. Get a robot model with kinematics from the robot vendor/other source, usually in Tecnomatix .co format, then convert it into RobotExpert .cojt format - this contains the kinematics inside, so it's the preferred alternative.
  2. Convert a CAD file as a robot, then define the kinematics using the Kinematics Editor.

Which robot model you're working with? ABB, for example, provide most of their robot models at their web site as .co. Look at ABB Download Center web page.

Gil.

Experimenter
Experimenter
Thank you for feedback,

Sometimes only native CAD models are available. Vendors such as Universal Robots, EPSON have only native assemblies on their websites.

I took STEP robot's assembly, converted into .cojt file format and inserted into robotic .cell project. Then I have created joints in "Kinematics Editor" toolbox. Unfortunately model differs from robot's models imported from .co. It has robot icon in projects tree, but some functions such as "Robotics>Robot Properties" are unavailable.

Do I need some additional steps to achieve entirely programmable model?

Experimenter
Experimenter

try adding the motionparameters.e file inside the .cojt folder

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

If the robot properties is not showing up it's possible you did not define inverse kinematics.  Make sure you have a baseframe and toolframe.

Experimenter
Experimenter
TEAM_PDPS and EdC, thank you for yours tips. I tried to apply them in UR5 model. I've defined TCP and base cord systems, then defined gripper in robot's model. Into empty .e file I've put some parameters. These steps didn't help me. Have I done something wrong? A attach my robot's .cojt directory. I'm using soft with 1 month trial licence.

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

I loaded your robot and successfully added the base and tool frames so that RobotExpert interperet it as a robot.

Follow these steps:

1. select the robot and set it to modeling.
  2. open kinematics editor for it.
  3. Inside the Kinematics Editor, click on the Set Baseframe icon and pick the base for the robot.
  4. Inside the Kinematics Editor, click on the Set Toolframe icon and pick the tool frame for the robot and a link to attach it to (probably lnk7).
  5. Close the Kinematics Editor.
  6. Select the robot from graphics viewer, right click - you should see several commands that are available only for robots.

Gil.