Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Inserting a .POD File as Point Cloud

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

I am trying to see if it would be viable to import a 3D Scan of a production cell made with a Google "Project Tango" Device into Process Simulate and use it to make some basic cell alignments. The 3D scan originally comes in .OBJ file format, which I have converted into .POD using a program called PVRGeoPOD from ImgTech.

Problem is when I try to insert the .POD file in Process simulate as a Point Cloud I get the following message:

"One or more of the Point Cloud files you are attempting to use are not valid (though they have the .pod extension). They will not display in the Graphic Viewer".

What am I missing? Is there a specific software needed to prepare the .POD file for Process Simulate?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Error Inserting a .POD File as Point Cloud

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hello,

You can try to load the file into Bentley Pointools View to check if the files load correctly. 

If it does then it is a Process Simulate problem and you should log a PR, if it doesn't you may want to try to use Bentley Pointools PODcreator to convert the file to POD.

Both applications are freeware.

Regards,

Yuval 

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello YuvalHeller, thank you for your response. I have tried using these tools from Bentley you suggested but unfortunately without positive results. I've also tried using SCENE LT. Seems that these softwares don't recognize my OBJ / POD files as actual scans but  just as generic 3D models.

I have however succeded in converting them to WRL and JT extensions, which are importable in CATIA and Process Simulate which is a partial success. I will keep trying to make them in PS importable .POD's.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello fodorhorea, I do have the exact same issues by importing a .pod file into process simulate. Have you already solved this? 

I've also downloaded bentley PODcreator, but am not able to convert files into .POD.

There is always a warning like "File not found" or "no points found"