cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point cloud visualization in Tecnomatix Plant Simulation 3D

Siemens Pioneer Siemens Pioneer
Siemens Pioneer

Plant Simulation can be used in many ways, one of its strength is the unlimited table size. Where products like MS Word and Excel reach their limits Plant Simulation can handle large quantities of data. A large point cloud like this factory scan can easily exceed the 3 million lines of a table in the PLY format each with the x,y,z coordinate and the r,g,b color value.

Point_clouds in Plant Simulation.png

To demonstrate the factory layout point cloud in Plant Simulation 3D I have written a short parser which reads the tablefile point by point and creates spheres at the designated 3D position and in the desired color.

Of course the point cloud can also be combined with Plant Simulation material flow simulation objects, textures of a layout file and other geometries coming from .jt or vrml.

Point_clouds in Plant Simulation10_cuboid_on_layou_and_jt.png

is

n,o:integer;

x,y,z,r,b,g:real;

do

n:=PLY_Data2.ydim;

for local i := 1 to n loop

x:=PLY_Data2[1,i];

y:=PLY_Data2[2,i];

z:=PLY_Data2[3,i];

r:=PLY_Data2[4,i];

g:=PLY_Data2[5,i];

b:=PLY_Data2[6,i];

o:=_3D.createSphere(makeArray(x,y,z),0.1);

_3D.setGraphicMaterial(makeArray(o), makeRGBValue(r,g,b), makeRGBValue(20,20,20), makeRGBValue(20,20,20), makeRGBValue(10,10,10), 0, 0);           

next;

end;

1 REPLY

Re: Point cloud visualization in Tecnomatix Plant Simulation 3D

Siemens Pioneer Siemens Pioneer
Siemens Pioneer

If the pointcloud is available as a wrl, you can of course easily use the wrl in Plant Simulation using drag and drop. Plant Simulation converts the vrml to jt internally. This visualization in Plant Simulation is amazingly fast; you can zoom into, pan and tilt the scenery shown in this picture without any time delay.

Point_cloud_Plant_Simulation.JPG

Below the pointcloud the CAD layout is positioned on level -0.1. This overlay of the layout and the pointcloud enables user to combine both sets of information to find is/to be deviations.