cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supported Hardware for Virtual Reality

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

I have been looking all day for a complete list of supported hardware for Virtual Reality.
So far, all i have been able to find on motion tracking was "Kinect, and many more"

For HMD's, I've heard about the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive, but that's about it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for all supported hardware, tracking and display, without the use of middleware like moreViz or techViz?

Kind regards,

Thomas

Thomas Musters, Virtual Reality development for Design & Engineering, ASML

Production: {NX9, VisMockup, Unity}

Development: {C#, Java, VB} Testing: {-none-}
2 REPLIES

Re: Supported Hardware for Virtual Reality

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hi Thomas,

Can you describe what type of Virtual Reality you would like to do, and with which product(s)?

Consumer head mounted displays, such as the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift, require their own image distortions and are currently not supported.

However, any dual channel traditional Head Mounted display like the Sensics DSite can be used. This requires the Process Simulate Human plug-in to get the eye views.

Whole body motion tracking is also available for the human, with drivers supporting camera based systems like Vicon, Motion Analysis and ART, and gyro suit systems like MotionWerx and XSens. If this is of interest, please ask and we can supply the complete list.

UlrichRaschke

Re: Supported Hardware for Virtual Reality

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

First of all sorry for the upcoming paragraph of text, but I've only been assigned to this for three weeks;

So far the software i have available is Teamcenter 10, NX9, VisMockup, and Jack. I can request more licenses, but if it's possible i'd like to use just these.

As for tracking systems, we have an "ART IR-Trackingsystem ARTtrack5", and "PPT Tracking by WorldViz.

For displays, we have an Oculus Rift (and a Vive is on the way), and a VR-Wall Cinemascope by Schneider-Digital.

---

What would be our ideal situation is to have one person wearing an Oculus Rift, being tracked and mapped onto Jack, seeing from the perspective of Jack. In parralel, having a birds-eye view being displayed for a group on the VR-Wall. Even better would be to have this second view being able to move around using either a PC some controller.

---

I've been tasked with finding an ideal solution, and there is bugdet available for purchases, but i need to get as close as possible to this to convince my superiors to invest.
I guess my question is how much hereof is possible with what we have, and for what would we need additional software, like moreViz, TechViz, or Improov3.

Thanks for your quick reaction,

Thomas

Thomas Musters, Virtual Reality development for Design & Engineering, ASML

Production: {NX9, VisMockup, Unity}

Development: {C#, Java, VB} Testing: {-none-}