cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an official procedure on how to implement JT2GO content into a PDF file for export purpose

Creator
Creator

Hello everybody,

Everything is in the title.

Indeed, we are trying to implement a JT2GO content into a PDF file in order to export it to external recipients easily.

We are using the JT2GO 10.1.5 version at the moment.

Is it possible to perform this operation and if so, how (a drag and drop as we usually do seems to have no effect and does not produce any error message) ?

Also, shall we move to the latest 11.2 version ?

Assuming this version is now being developed in 64 Bits only, would it be suitable for this kind of export ?

Thanks in advance.

Fred

12 REPLIES

Re: Is there an official procedure on how to implement JT2GO content into a PDF file for export purp

In JT2GO version 11.2.3,  there is a option 'Attach JT to PDF file'.

JT2Go Attachments

Attach a JT file to a PDF document

Viewing PDF documents with attached JT files 

Ganesh Kadole, QA Analyst (PLM), SQS
Testing: NX 10 | NX 11 | Teamcenter-NX Integration
Teamcenter 11.2 | TC Vis 11.3 | Active Workspace 3.2

Re: Is there an official procedure on how to implement JT2GO content into a PDF file for export purp

Creator
Creator

Hello Ganesh,

Thank you for your reply and all these links for documentations.

Indeed, I did not have so many options with version 10.1.5.

I have managed to attach a ".jt" file to an existing PDF file but when trying to open it from another PC in Adobe Acrobat Reader and on which JT2Go is not installed, then the ".jt" file cannot be opened, unfortunately.

I believed there was a kind of embedded 3D viewer that would open from the PDF file.

Can you confirm that the 3D content can be viewed by anybody who has not JT2Go installed (when the PDF file is sent with a ".jt" attachment by email for instance) ?

Thanks in advance.

Fred

Hi @faubry1,

Could you please mention your purpose? Why you want to open a JT file in PDF (without JT2GO). After all it is a free viewer. You can also go for 'XpresReview' to open/review a JT file.

I guess you know the process mentioned in the link from 'The JT Blog' JT Open TRB Workshop 2016 (JT and PDF) to use JT with PDF. 

I believed there was a kind of embedded 3D viewer that would open from the PDF file.

Can you confirm that the 3D content can be viewed by anybody who has not JT2Go installed (when the PDF file is sent with a ".jt" attachment by email for instance) ? 

Using 'Adobe Acrobat Pro DC' you can 'Add 3D' content with format ".u3d" or ".prc" format which takes you to the 3DPDF concept. But note that 'Adobe Acrobat Pro DC' is not free. There are some paid softwares that are capable to convert CAD data to the 3DPDF, Anark, Tetra4D etc.

3d.PNG

Ganesh Kadole, QA Analyst (PLM), SQS
Testing: NX 10 | NX 11 | Teamcenter-NX Integration
Teamcenter 11.2 | TC Vis 11.3 | Active Workspace 3.2

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

When you say JT2Go content into the PDF file, what do you mean? 

Are you trying to attach a JT file to a PDF file?  

Or, are you attempting to drag/drop a Jt file into a PDF file expecting to see a bitmap image of it and then being able to make it become an active viewer (i.e. being able to interact with it)?  This is not a feature of JT2Go if this is what you are trying to do.   

Rick

Creator
Creator

Hello,

Thank you for all these replies.

Yes, indeed as Ganesh_Kadole showed in a previous post, then I would like to have the viewer inside the PDF file when opening it, exactly like the ".jt" file implementation in Word document as shown below :

2017-05-11 10_19_55-ACLL014378 - Connexion Bureau à distance.png

Our end users in our company would like to be able indeed to embed ".jt" content in PDF documents in order to share them with suppliers or other external companies.

At the beginning, they wanted to use the Word implementation but we have read a few weeks ago from this forum that it is no longer supported in the latest version 11.2.3 as it is now being developed in 64 Bits.

Also, we fear that if end users continue using the Word implementation, perhaps that one day the 10.1.5 version enabling that will be no longer supported on other Operating Systems for instance.

I could check the documentation regarding the attachment of a ".jt" file into an existing PDF file but this is not the expected result for our end users.

As Ganesh_Kadole also mentioned, then there is another possibility using Adobe Acrobat Pro.
We do have this software here but assuming that Adobe Acrobat Pro does not enable the direct ".jt" file implementation but only two specific 3D formats, perhaps I will have to check indeed if there are no other means to convert the ".jt" file in order to embed them directly into PDF files.

Fred

Siemens Legend

You cannot embed our 3D viewer into a PDF document, like you did for Word documents with our 10.1.5 product.  Also, our 11.2.x and beyond no longer have the office integration functionality.  I do have someone who will get back to you next week regarding our JT/PDF solution.

Rick

Creator
Creator

Hi RickV,

Thank you for this confirmation.

Indeed, I think we may have to look for another solution for our end users if they want to embed JT files into Word or PDF documents.

I am awaiting the return of your colleague in order to see if there are other suggestions.

Thanks.

Fred

Siemens Legend

@zinkm - Mike Zink should be able to help you with our current feature set.

Rick

Creator
Creator

Hello RickV,

Thank you very much.
In the meantime, can you confirm that the ".jt" embedding in a Word document requires JT2Go to be installed on the PC from which the ".doc" file is opened or is it possible to embed a plugin for that ?

Because our end users would like to be able to share such documents (or PDF, as explained in a previous post) with external people who do not necessary have JT2Go installed on their PCs.

Thanks in advance.

Fred

What is JT?

JT is the World’s Most Widely Used 3D File Format for PLM

JT is the common language of PLM and is the world’s most widely used 3D format. JT is the first ISO International Standard ( IS 14306-1) for 3D visualization and collaboration. Compact and accurate, JT is used throughout the product development lifecycle in all major industries to communicate the critical design information typically locked up inside a CAD file.

Siemens PLM Software customers rely on JT to be the most robust 3D visualization format available.

JT Open Factsheet
JT Open Member Resources
JT Open Documentation Technology
JT Open File Format Technology
JT Open Toolkit

Downloadable viewers for Windows Desktop, Windows 10 Universal App, Android and iOS.

Download JT2Go for your platform today Download JT2Go Desktop 64 Bit all languages
Download JT2Go Desktop 32 Bit for English
Windows 10 JT2Go Universal App
Android JT2Go
iOS JT2Go