cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MoCap using kinect & Jack student version

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello 

I am currently using Jack free 30 day trial license and I am trying to build a task which involves usage of MS Xbox kinect with Jack, I am able to load the plug in, but I am not able to perform any task (for eg lifting a crate and placing it at some other location), or even make a connection with any object. 

Do I need to get a motion capture license for this purpose?? 

If not then I would really appreciate if someone can let me know how to accomplish tasks like this on using kinect, I am trying to figure it out by myself and searching it on the user manual but unfortunately I am not able to accomplish it.

Please guide

Thanks in advance

Deependra 

5 REPLIES

Re: MoCap using kinect & Jack student version

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hi Deependra,

Great you are exploring Jack. The Kinect interface only is able to track the subject, it does not have the ability to track objects. More sophisticated tracking systems supported with the Motion Capture Toolkit can track objects. In the full product, there are also scripting approaches that can be used to accomplish object grasping and release.

UlrichRaschke

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Ulrich

So, with the current version available with me, I'd only be able to explore any facility using Jack and Xbox Kinect, it won't be possible to perform any task like lifting a crate and putting it somewhere. 

I have a couple of questions which I forgot to add in my thread, first is, I am a research grad/ TA in a Grad School, and I have to design basic task for the UG level students using Jack, and for that I am planning to ask the students to download the student version of Jack, but the issue with Student version is that, it is not posible to save a simulation using TSB, while I wish to design a basic set of tasks in Jack.

So, how do I activate TAT in student version of Jack and along with that, is there any other way we can generate basic motions in Jack without using TSB.

I would be very grateful if you can provide me some guidance regarding this difficulty.

Thanks in advance

Deependra 

Siemens Genius

Deependra,

The Student version has the limitation that only specific .tsf files provided with the distribution can be loaded, and changes cannot be persisted. For class use, there is an academic Tecnomatix Bundle available from the Siemens Academic program. For a minimal administrative fee, it provides fully functional campus wide licenses for the Jack product. 

If you are limited to the Student version, it may be most instructional to have the students work through the provided tutorial example. Note that they can insert additional objects into the scene from the included library to interact with, they just won't be able to save this new environment. They can then also explore that new environment with the Kinect for Windows interface, experiencing the added value virtual realitycan provide.

UlrichRaschke

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Ulrich

Thank you very much for the information. 

I would surely ask my professor to have a look into it, is there any source or link over the Siemens website where I can go and look into it? 

Best

Deependra

Siemens Genius

Hi Deependra,

Please have a look at: http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/academic/index.shtml

The Jack product is part of the Tecnomatix bundle.

-- Ulrich

UlrichRaschke