Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Article: Easy Tool handling multispindle machines in NX CAM

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hi Community,

do you also annoyed by the manual shift of tools for CAM-setups which have many different program groups with lot of tools but the tool magazine have a limited size? For simulation you have to reorder the tools or you are not simulating the toolchange with magazine...but for some of our customers it's important to get the time in seconds to optimize their processes. And maybe you have a double spindle machine and all the tools must be copied and order them also in the second tool magazine. That can takes a long time for CAM programmer and is not very effective.

So i prepare a C# project with using of NXOpen based on a customized sim18 OOTB machine and i want to share it with you.

Some advantages of using it:

- decrease dramatically the time for tool handling in NX CAM (in my case up to 95%)

- optimized tool order in the tool magazine, dependent of operation order and space for each tool

- one CAM-Setup can contains multiple workflows 

- you can connect to tool managment systems during programming, e.g. ask availability

- feel free to add your own logic for placement in the tool magazine

Technical details:

In my case i have 2 program groups. First group contains multiple tools which should be placed in the tool magazine.

Sim18_CAM_1.jpg

To have a generic approach for C# programming the naming of pockets in the Toolmagazine_1 & 2 is the same.

Sim18_CAM_2.jpg

To adjust the names and space for the tools there are 2 important places in the code. The first one is in the beginning. The GenericPocketName is using for removing and adding tools in different carriers. Also there is one for the spindle pocket. And additional variables for maximum numbers and the values for space calculation.

Sim18_CAM_3.jpg

The seond one is the entering of the different carriernames which should be checked and are available.Sim18_CAM_4.jpg

All these settings can be placed in a NXOpen Blockstyler dialog or you extend it with a own configuration file so that it is not necessary to set it here. Just as a note beside Smiley Wink.

When selecting a program group and starting the application it will remove all tools from the carriers and move them into the unused items. Then the program is cycled for all used tools and order it into the toolmagazine. At the same time the tool will be duplicated if it's not exists and placed into the second magazine.

For a short demo take a look into the video.

(view in My Videos)

Best regards

Thomas

Highlighted

Article: Easy Tool handling multispindle machines in NX CAM

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hi Community,

do you also annoyed by the manual shift of tools for CAM-setups which have many different program groups with lot of tools but the tool magazine have a limited size? For simulation you have to reorder the tools or you are not simulating the toolchange with magazine...but for some of our customers it's important to get the time in seconds to optimize their processes. And maybe you have a double spindle machine and all the tools must be copied and order them also in the second tool magazine. That can takes a long time for CAM programmer and is not very effective.

So i prepare a C# project with using of NXOpen based on a customized sim18 OOTB machine and i want to share it with you.

Some advantages of using it:

- decrease dramatically the time for tool handling in NX CAM (in my case up to 95%)

- optimized tool order in the tool magazine, dependent of operation order and space for each tool

- one CAM-Setup can contains multiple workflows 

- you can connect to tool managment systems during programming, e.g. ask availability

- feel free to add your own logic for placement in the tool magazine

Technical details:

In my case i have 2 program groups. First group contains multiple tools which should be placed in the tool magazine.

Sim18_CAM_1.jpg

To have a generic approach for C# programming the naming of pockets in the Toolmagazine_1 & 2 is the same.

Sim18_CAM_2.jpg

To adjust the names and space for the tools there are 2 important places in the code. The first one is in the beginning. The GenericPocketName is using for removing and adding tools in different carriers. Also there is one for the spindle pocket. And additional variables for maximum numbers and the values for space calculation.

Sim18_CAM_3.jpg

The seond one is the entering of the different carriernames which should be checked and are available.Sim18_CAM_4.jpg

All these settings can be placed in a NXOpen Blockstyler dialog or you extend it with a own configuration file so that it is not necessary to set it here. Just as a note beside Smiley Wink.

When selecting a program group and starting the application it will remove all tools from the carriers and move them into the unused items. Then the program is cycled for all used tools and order it into the toolmagazine. At the same time the tool will be duplicated if it's not exists and placed into the second magazine.

For a short demo take a look into the video.

(view in My Videos)

Best regards

Thomas

NX CAM Postprocessor Group
NX CAM Postprocessor Group

Members (139)