Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Summery of a Post Configurator training

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

After attending a PC training this week, I am impressed about the changes between PC NX 10 and PC NX 12.0.2

Had my initial UG-Post training about 16 years ago with UGII v16, after self-teaching of PB, I am now up to speed with the next generation of post developer tools. Sometimes reading tutorials, presentations and watching videos is not enough.

With the advanced license only it is hard to add missing things due to missing information, ERs would be reported to include these abilities, or third party CAM consulting companies would be hired that own the full PC license.

With PC one can create a working post-processor that resembles the experience of the last 30 years of PP development within a very short time, but currently many properties don't offer the ability to add custom code through the UI, where users have done customization in the past through custom commands in PB post-processors.

From my point of view the following things are on the to-do-list (listed by priority):

1. increase speed
    • do some profiling comparing a PB versus a PC post-processor
    • identify the bottlenecks and remove them
    • currently a 20MB NC-file takes about 40 minutes to generate by a PC post-processor
      • the same file takes less than 5 minutes with a PB post-processor
  2. increase usability (ease of customization)
    • resemble the usability and ease of customization of a PB post-processor
      • many things are included OOTB, so there are only a few things left to take care of
    • access to the buffer and UI ID display with the advanced license level would be beneficial to gain the same level of customization of PB

Happy post-processor development.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide
2 REPLIES

Re: Summery of a Post Configurator training

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

To be honest, I had hard times with PB in the start and now I can say I did lot of quite big stuff (PB vs cnc).

I am staying with PB, for me it is better, better to control, better results, simple, faster,user-friendly and I have lots of work / so now I dont see any reason to migrate.

I can say that encrypting is one good thing about PC. But UI in PC, way how it works when we want to change something simple - it is via tcl editor, libraries, layers, nodes. It is complicated for me.

But ofcourse everyone can choose.

(Wouldnt be better to just improve PB with crypting and or with some extra UI where we allow customer to adjust something? (instead of layers) )

---------------------------------------------
#♫ PB, 5ax, itnc, nx, vericut ♫ #

Re: Summery of a Post Configurator training

A little update after digging deeper into the world of PC.

We noticed, that updating the controller library files from NX 10.0.3 to NX 12.0.2 for our "regular" PC PPs was giving a performance boost. There is now literally no difference in processing time between a PP created with PB and one created with PC.

In addition a very special PP created with PC, where we had to turn off the turbo mode, should get a boost when we switch to NX 12.0.2 to utilize the advanced turbo mode. We will do some further testing and I will report back with our findings. BTW, with PB we would have had to disable turbo mode too, so no difference in this case.

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4

Highlighted

Summery of a Post Configurator training

After attending a PC training this week, I am impressed about the changes between PC NX 10 and PC NX 12.0.2

Had my initial UG-Post training about 16 years ago with UGII v16, after self-teaching of PB, I am now up to speed with the next generation of post developer tools. Sometimes reading tutorials, presentations and watching videos is not enough.

With the advanced license only it is hard to add missing things due to missing information, ERs would be reported to include these abilities, or third party CAM consulting companies would be hired that own the full PC license.

With PC one can create a working post-processor that resembles the experience of the last 30 years of PP development within a very short time, but currently many properties don't offer the ability to add custom code through the UI, where users have done customization in the past through custom commands in PB post-processors.

From my point of view the following things are on the to-do-list (listed by priority):

1. increase speed
    • do some profiling comparing a PB versus a PC post-processor
    • identify the bottlenecks and remove them
    • currently a 20MB NC-file takes about 40 minutes to generate by a PC post-processor
      • the same file takes less than 5 minutes with a PB post-processor
  2. increase usability (ease of customization)
    • resemble the usability and ease of customization of a PB post-processor
      • many things are included OOTB, so there are only a few things left to take care of
    • access to the buffer and UI ID display with the advanced license level would be beneficial to gain the same level of customization of PB

Happy post-processor development.

NX CAM Postprocessor Group
NX CAM Postprocessor Group

Members (123)