Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Announcement: Next Major Release of NX Will Not Be 13

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Here's our announcement 

We have already recieved questions surrounding the next release of NX. While we can't reveal full details just yet, we can tell you that the next major release of NX will not be NX 13. In regards to more information on this topic, please be on the lookout for new details on the 13th in the coming months.

NX.jpg

Comments
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Just guessing, but most software vendors now favor {release year}.{release month} Smiley Wink

Experimenter

I just want to be able to upgrade easer.  Dan 

Valued Contributor

I just wish it was a straight forward update, not a seperate installation.

Gears Phenom
Being able to "roll back", without a complete uninstall, would be nice too, when you get that (rare) new bug, in a mp
Siemens Phenom

Last week I had raised an IR (related to NX12) which is converted to PR. In the resolution mail, it is mentioned that it will be fixed in 'NX version 1847'. So I think @Stefan_Pendl, your guess is correct. But still guessing about '47'. What does it mean? Smiley LOL

Valued Contributor

NX version 1847

year 2018

week 47th

Smiley Wink

Phenom

This number is absolutely ridiculous. Some commercial director are very crazy...

1847 is the year that Siemens was founded, so the next release seems to be an anniversary release Smiley Wink

Year 2018 and week 47, as already mentioned, is also a valid interpretation if one looks back at the last few release dates.

Phenom

Hi @Stefan_Pendl,

NX is a software not a present. For me, Siemens must demostrate to own customer in the next release, what customer need.

I totally agree that NX is a software, that is why I report problems, when I find some, and I request enhancements, when I see value in an enhancement for other customers.

Enhancements that are only of value for our company are really hard to get implemented without spending big dollars Smiley Wink

Siemens Phenom

@Stefan_Pendl, @cubalibre00,

You might have read this already, but have a look at this blog post:
https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Blog/Enhancements-into-NX/ba-p/446631
I know some of you are sceptical, but this give you a good picture.

Kind regards,

Dennis

Hi @DennisdeBrouwer,

yes, I have been reading that article Smiley Wink

We have reported 410 ERs over the last few years, 39 have been implemented, 18 are under review, 16 are not planned, 49 are planned or open or unscheduled, 10 have been turned into problem reports and 278 are not yet reviewed.

Some of the not yet reviewed enhancements might have been implemented already or superseded by a better way, but I have not yet had time to check this.

From my point of view Siemens has worked on a reasonable amount of our requested enhancements in the past.

Valued Contributor

I've found Siemens to be suprisingly responsive to our ERs on the Simcenter side, but less so on the CAD side. I don't know if this is a function of the maturity of the product, the degree of difficulty of the ERs, or the degree to which my CAE/CAD communities have engaged Siemens on the ERs.

Valued Contributor

Re. the new version number scheme, I suspect they're doing something similar to what Microsoft did with Win10. Going forward, there will just be "NX" and new functionality will arrive in the form of patches.

Gears Legend
I hope with the arrival of the new version naming scheme, the ugly globe logo will disappear. It just looks like a worn out copy of the NASA logo.
Experimenter

it will be like your phone.  there will be no versions, your phone just updates to the new version.  No need to update from one version to the next..... That is the rumor.  Dan

Gears Legend
Naming is one thing. Pricing is another one... I'm thinking about the ability to rent a specific functionality for a certain period... Web-based checking in and out of your licensing and this with a very transparent and attractive pricing policy. Sometimes I would like to make use of e.g. the routing functionality (frame design; bending of tubes...). But the price of the license is making me look at e.g. SolidWorks.
it will be like your phone. there will be no versions, your phone just updates to the new version. No need to update from one version to the next

So you need to buy a new computer to really get a new release of the software? Phones are not updating for an unlimited number of releases.

I would like to have an update work-flow without excessive testing too, but I think this will not be possible in the short term.

Phenom

Solid Edge has already annonounced that they are dropping the Solid Edge ST<version> in favor of the Solid Edge 2018.  My assumption would be that NX does the same.

Phenom

@frank_nx Frank-

I have to agree with you on the NX logo. 

But when it comes to SW, I have to disagree 100%!

You should be looking at Solid Edge since it meets your needs. It's even a bit better from a licensing standpoint and from pure functionalty- SW cant't touch it.

You mentioned the check-in/out of licenses. That is one of the things that SW customer base is hating right now. Solid Edge has cloud-enabled licensing. 

SE comes with XpresRoute for tubing and frame design (structural members) and electrical wire harness is very competitivly priced! (I want to say that it is almost less than maintenance on the NX Routing! :-) )

If you are located in the US, let me know- just send me an email from this system! 

SE even has monthly subscription and right now has some killer pricing!

Phenom

The NX name will be NX version 1847.

Experimenter

I just want an easer upgrade!!!!

Solution Partner Valued Contributor

@Stefan_Pendl 1847 is not only the year Siemens was founed, the 847 is UGS on your phone's keypad as there are no letters for the 1. Coincidence?

Dreamer

it will be called 1847

Siemens Phenom

No, it will simply be called NX.

Of course, there will be a version indicator, but users should not care anymore which release exactly they are working with.

Phenom

Hi @Johannes_H,

what you wrote is wrong. If Siemens has decided to remove the release number doesn't mean that it's not important. Now it's important the build that changes every six months.

Probably January build 2019 can't open July build 2019.

Siemens Phenom

Hello @cubalibre00,

This time you are wrong Smiley Wink...
Yes you can open parts saved in a new build, in an older build. Similar to that you can open parts saved in NX 12.0.2 in NX 12.0.1 and 12.0.0.

I'm not sure on the details, but this will not be unlimited, but don't worry about a half year old build.

There is one note. If we introduce a new feature in the software, of course you cannot edit this in an older build that does not have this feature yet. But it does not prevent you from opening and editing the part. It's just this feature that cannot be edited. But also this is similar to changes in Maintenance Releases today.

But working for GTAC, Yes when there is an issue, at least for us it's important in what build this problem is identified. So it's of course not completely unimportant. But for the general user, it should not matter on day to day work.

Kind regards,

Dennis

@cubalibre00,

since you are a beta tester, you have access to the beta presentations, so check out the presentation about "NX Open Tools and Validations", which contains detailed information about how users will get notified about the impact of the next feature release.

Siemens Phenom

Hi @cubalibre00,

What is wrong with what I wrote? I was maybe not clear enough, but I did not write that versions are not important anymore.

I wrote:

"... it will simply be called NX" -> Referring to FAQ:

Q: Is the traditional NX release numbering changing with the Continuous Release?

A: Yes, with Continuous Release the vision is to remove the focus on release numbering as the ‘decoder ring’ from the mindset of customer in terms of perceived quality and deployment readiness. Each new release is purely “NX”.

And I wrote:

"Users should not care with what NX Version they are working with"

Of course, an administrator or power user needs to take care about the versioning and upgrading process, and make sure users can open existing data with the supplied version, but a regular user should not. He/she should simply know the capablities of the software he uses, get trained on whats it is capable of and work with it.

Note that this statement is not my invention, it comes from NX product management.

Additionally, data compatibility is something that could probably change when continuous releases are in place. The worst case is that nothing will change, meaning that you can't open data in the Jan19 release when it was saved in the Jun19 release. Note that schema changes in parts are allowed in functional release updates, but do not necessarily have to happen. So if no schema changes happen, data is compatible between Jun19 and Jan19 releases.

However focussing development on a single release channel opens up new perspectives on how data versions are handled. In other words, there is a chance that we could get a sort of backwards compatibility. As long as no other data compatibility policies are officially communicated, this is only speculation, but I am 100% sure that development has a plan on this one.

Phenom

Hi @DennisdeBrouwer and others,

this is a theory. I hope you have right. My experience with NX as user, it's not so.

We'll see starting the next year.