Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Do toys inspire our future career choice?

by Siemens Legend Siemens Legend on ‎01-06-2014 04:50 PM - edited (1,583 Views)

Today I saw an article from Develop3D that asks: "Do the toys we play with as children inspire our future career choice?

My answer is "Absolutely!"     I know that as a child, I loved playing with my Lego and Meccano kits.  This inspired me to choose an engineering career.

My son loved playing with his Lego blocks and Knex Big Ball factory.  He also chose engineering as his career.

Today, many of us at Siemens share our love for these toys, by participating in a variety of STEM programs.    Several Siemens PLM offices have STEM programs where employees go out to schools and teach elementary school children about Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics, using Lego WeDo kits.

If you still haven't selected your new years resolution, I urge you to call your local school and volunteer in their STEM program.

Jerry

Comments
by Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
on ‎01-06-2014 05:14 PM

I'm a bit too old for Legos but for me it was the all-metal Erector sets and later on tinkering with cars and small engines (my father ran a lawn mower and small engine repair shop out of our garage to supplement his income).  And then in high school I got involved in fixing old radios and putting togehter Heathkits (tube-testers, SW receivers, VTVM.s, etc).

John

by Community Manager Community Manager
on ‎01-09-2014 01:04 PM

John, the modern erector sets were on many Christmas lists this year! 

For those of you interested in Lego trivia, here are a few of the Q&As I do with grade schoolers when I talk STEM:

• Can anyone tell me how many Lego bricks are made each year?
    20 billion or 35,000/minute
  • Laid end to end, how many times would those LEGO bricks reach around the world
    more than five times
  • What does the word Lego mean/come from?
    Danish LEG GODT, meaning “play well”, (also LEGO in Latin “I put together”)
  • How accurate are the molds used in production?
    just accurate to two-thousandth of a millimeter (0.002 mm)!
  • Did you know they were invented by Ole Kirk Christiansen, a carpenter. What was his first product before legos? 
    A wooden toy duck