Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Microsoft Takes CAD on Tablet to Whole New Level

by Community Manager Community Manager ‎02-26-2015 12:28 PM - edited ‎05-04-2015 08:39 AM (3,054 Views)

If you thought CAD on a tablet was exciting, just wait till you see the new Microsoft Surface Hub. Microsoft unveiled the 84-inch (213 cm) 4K display computer earlier this month at the Windows 10 Update, and you may recognize the app Senior Director Hayete Gallot uses in the demo as one from Siemens PLM.   

She uses a 3D model exploded view to show how the Surface Hub facilitates collaboration with the ability to share content right on the same screen, capture images, annotate, and all while on video chat with the built-in Skype.

While the app she demos is for Solid Edge, the Surface Hub is the perfect device for the new touch screen interface available in NX CAD 10 if you ask me. The Hub’s large display gives you the clarity and detail you desire when you design a product and the device supports 100 points of touch, making it easy for your team to work on the same design at one time.

I see this as a step in the direction CAD is headed. We manipulate the world with our hands, so why not interact with and use technology in the same way? It only makes sense that as technology changes, so too will the processes associated with it, and frankly, I’m excited to see what’s to come in the future.

So what about you? How do you feel about the latest innovations with touch screen CAD? Is this something you’re excited to use, or couldn’t care less about? Let me know in the comments below!

For more info such as the full specs of the new Microsoft Surface Hub, be sure to check out the article this post is based on: “New devices, new interfaces from Microsoft” on GraphicSpeak.

Comments
by Legend
on ‎02-27-2015 08:17 AM

For design reviews and customer supplier colaboration this is a great.  Everybody loves to touch and manipulate models and give inputs.  Even better to change the model in realtime during reviews and changes.

For everyday use as a Designer, I would think trying to select small details would drive me crazy.  I like my mouse and spaceball.   After the hard core detail work was done to get to a 3D model that could be easily manipulated this technology would work great. 

Great post.

Shane Deters

by Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
on ‎03-04-2015 04:02 AM

Shane,

I think your observations are spot on, in our experience with the smaller devices we see people want to use this type of approach when out and about, when sitting with clients etc. and want to do some work.

I think there are a couple of things that make the Surface Pro cool for this, one is the idea of having a docking station, with large screen etc. so you can work on your desk as normal, but when you have to get mobile, undock and you don't have to lug that keyboard and mouse around.

The other is the Pen, that gives much finer control for picking smaller things.

All interesting technology trends

BTW, the large screens, we've used (I've tried up to 105") are pretty cool for working with too, totally different dimension to design reviews and colaboration

Paul Brown

by Experimenter
on ‎04-20-2015 09:21 AM

We'll eventually come full circle and be standing at "drafting boards" again. Only this time we'll be assembling in 3D using our hands & stylii, with haptic feedback for creating assembly constraints. (and we might even have a real graphical assembly constraint browser by then!! :^)

Old I-DEAS user PL.