Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Adaptive UI

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Machine learning and Artificial Intelligence increasing productivity? Absolutely. The latest update to NX will bring you Adaptive UI into NX. 

Think of the adaptive UI as your personalized assistant that will help optimize workflows and increase productivity for every single user within your organization. The adaptive UI will predict the commands that you will most likely want to use based upon the context of what you're doing at the moment. It will put these recommended commands in a clean and compact panel to speed you through your workflow. The panel will reflect differently based upon each users unique style of usage in NX. 

Experienced users of NX can even share their workflows with the rest of the organization to help promote best practices. Used effectively, this can speed the entire organizations productivity. 

We've made a handy video to provide you with more information on this exciting new addition to the world's leading CAD/CAM/CAE solution. 

See the video below for more information: 

(view in My Videos)

Comments
Phenom

Hi,

where can I found this adaptive UI ? In the future of NX ? Need a special license as usual ?

Community Manager

@cubalibre00 The adaptive UI can be found as an add on license 

Phenom

Hi,

this is a promo video. This adaptive UI, it's available ? It's a new UI or a toolbar like the last ten used command ?

Experimenter

Same question, where and when can we see this promising new feature?

Siemens Phenom

As already mentioned by @chanatwr this is available as an add-on product: NX30179 - NX Command Prediction

Phenom

Ok, a simple toolbar like the last ten command.

It's not correct to name this add-on as Adative UI.

This is deceptive propaganda.

Siemens Phenom

@cubalibre00 :

I don't want to sound rude, but that seems to be a bold statement from someone who hasn't used it yet. I used it extensively for several weeks as a Beta Tester. It not just the last 10 commands. It uses Machine Learning algorithm that drives it's predictions and has a patent pending on the technology.

Phenom

Hi @PatMcManus ,

I use NX every days for 8 hours a day, 5 days for week, for 8 years. Again, I'm a NX beta test user.

If you want, share here a video for the new Adaptive UI.

I used it for several weeks as a Beta Tester.

For me it's a toolbar, very far to the Adaptive UI.

Siemens Phenom

Thanks for the feedback @cubalibre00 !

That may explain things.

Adaptive UI did not exist at Customer Beta in July nor in the EAP, so whatever used or saw was not the Adaptive UI.

In fact, until the Patent paperwork was filed recently, we were not even allowed to discuss or show it. So testing was limited to internal, such as I did.

From your description it sounds like you are, in fact, using the "Repeat Command" function that remembers the last 10 commands use. That has been around for the past few releases bit is obviously very different.

Once you have had a chance to use the Adaptive UI we'd love to hear your feedback.

Gears Phenom

A bit off-topic but is there any way we can start also attaching the video files to these blog posts?  My company is either filtering them out or I'm missing a plug-in and it would literally take an act from a higher power to remedy the situation.  More than frustating for me.....

Thanks!

Siemens Phenom

Hi @TimF !

We usually have them posted multiple places. Can you get to YouTube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN17ExY-8Ek

Gears Phenom

Hi @PatMcManus,

Thanks for the response.

I can access YT for the time being - not sure if our technology repression department did this intentionally or if they overlooked it.  Up until 2019, YT was inaccessable for us.

Regardless, I think it's important to be aware that not everyone has full access to outside entertainment sources, hosting sites, etc. but good old downloads can still be accomplished.

Dreamer
Dreamer

What does it adapt outside of commands/navigation? Is there a breakdown on the add-on somewhere?

Community Manager

Hey @TimF

I can start attaching the videos for our blogs from now on. Wasn't aware that you hadn't been able to access them!

Gears Phenom

Hi @chanatwr ,

I appreciate the extra effort - happens to me with all videos posted in this particular manner in all community areas (I'm guessing embedded or hosted offsite?).

It would be great if the forum software would add the "embedded" videos as attachments automatically if that is possible.

Thanks to all giving input/reading.

Enthusiast

Is this available in NX12?

Siemens Phenom

No, minimum version is the January 2019 Release.

Phenom

Hi @Johannes_H ,

this adaptive UI it's not available. This is a promo.

Siemens Phenom

Hi @cubalibre00 ,

the question was if the product is available in NX12. Technically, it needs at least the January 2019 version.

But it is not only a promo, it really works today. However, if a customer wants to run it, he needs the "NX Command Prediction" (NX30179) license, which is already available to purchase.

Johannes

Phenom

Hi @Johannes_H ,

I discuss with @PatMcManus that if this Adaptive UI is not an evolution of the last 10 used command, please share a real video, not a promo video. Without a real video, spend money for this license, it's no sense.

Siemens Phenom

Hi @cubalibre00 !

You are correct. The video posting from Billy is a Promo to simply introduce this new concept and is not intended to be a "demo" of the new product.

Like most things, it does much better in live demo (a local user event here yesterday with live demo, drew lots of positive comments).

I don't know what you have against Machine Learning or why you seem so antagonist on this topic, but I have no interest in arguing this point with you. No one will force you to use this innovation if you don't want it.

If anyone is interested in a credible take from someone who has actually seen the new product and has some interesting thoughts on how the technology could be used:

https://www.lifecycleinsights.com/nxs-adaptive-ui/

Phenom

@PatMcManus,

I only ask for clarity. Talk about an adaptive interface on NX and put a video that says everything and nothing. Say that it is already present on NX and nobody knows what it really is, if a toolbar with the most used commands or a new role of NX that suits the user. Out of respect for the final users who pay, be clear and not so vague. If you want to know more, feel with the wizard of OZ. Be honest and professional.

Siemens Phenom

Hi @cubalibre00 ,

ok - I understand you want something like a proof of concept to make sure it works for you.

So, based on the nature of the functionality, it is hard to convince anybody that it is worth the money. The reason is that it does not always look the same. It will show up different icons when I use NX with it, or when someone else works with it.

So, what I tried was to use my NX (version 1851) with a recently opened part, and did a few clicks. Then, I simply started a video recorder, and performed a few commands. After that, I looked at the video, and analyzed what NX command prediction did. I documented the comments in the video.

So, this is not a professional demo video, no cuts, no speedups, with no dedicated plan. It is just to give you some sort of impression - and I hope it helps. However, I agree with you.... I would not pay for it if I am not sure it is of use. So I recommend to try it on your own using a trial license.

(wanna be honest and professional, too... Smiley Wink)

(view in My Videos)

Johannes

Phenom

Hi @Johannes_H ,

I do not know if you work for Siemens PLM, but I have questioned the form and the words used. Siemens PLM can not promote and confuse an adaptive interface with a toolbar. I have read of many applications that are advertised with AI functions, when they are simple statistical calculations. That said, the video and my words, will certainly help to understand end users if it is worth buying this license.

Siemens Phenom

Hi @cubalibre00 ,

yes I do work for Siemens PLM (NX expert for more than 20 years now)... However I am a presales position in the field - not in product management or in the development organization, and working a lot with customers.

I now understand you don't consider a toolbar to be an "Adaptive UI". Today, I would call it an "Adaptive UI component".

Johannes

Phenom

Hi @Johannes_H ,

from wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_user_interface :

An adaptive user interface (also known as AUI) is a user interface (UI) which adapts, that is changes, its layout and elements to the needs of the user or context and is similarly alterable by each user.

I call your new package license, "Adaptive toolbar".

Gears Esteemed Contributor

From my point of view it is the initial phase and therefore it will evolve into something more resuming the description of wikipedia.

In addition, I don't take wikipedia too serious, since it is volunteered and can contain inadequate information too.

Phenom

@Stefan_Pendl,

maybe in the future, but actually it's a toolbar and it's not useful during the design.

If I read for something on wiki that it's not my expertise, I read more sources, but this is a topic that concerns me closely and wiki wrote right.

Gears Esteemed Contributor

I envision, that the ribbon will change automatically due to the command usage of a user, when the entire project is finished.

We have had things provided in the past with all bells a whistles included and therefore the entire feature was broken. Now that we get features included in small steps, so that functionality can be tested easily and feedback provided to the developers through GTAC, newly introduced features are much more stable.

We have been left with an unstable product in the past, so I like the approach to get new things in phases.

Valued Contributor

@Johannes_H Thanks for the video. That clarified how it works quite nicely. 

I prefer the approach you've taken (an "adaptive toolbar") to changing the entire UI on the fly. An entire UI changing based on what it thinks I'm going to do next sounds like a nightmare, but I can see how a single toolbar could be quite useful.

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hello,

after having seen what it is and how it works (thank you Johannes_H!), I'd like to know how to de-activate it (not because I don't like it, but because I need to know how to customize it).

So far I've only found to toggle off the left border bar. Any other way to control it? And what if somenone likes to see it in a different place like the top border bar or something - how can this be accomplished?

Thanks for your assisstance and a great week end to everyone out there,

Udo

Valued Contributor

...but please choose your wording - "brings/comes/w/e to NX" - high hopes. Reads comments it's a "purchase add-on feature"... This is not the first time Siemens promotes a feature without a hint that this is extra add-on. Anyone has pricing, I know I know pricing varies A LOT, but this would give me (and probably others) the idea what is better value - SpaceMouse Enterprice or additional smart toolbar Smiley Wink

So, at the moment this doesn't look (from videos and article) impressive at all, but this is what got my attention:

"Experienced users of NX can even share their workflows with the rest of the organization to help promote best practices. Used effectively, this can speed the entire organizations productivity."

Is that a thing or coming soon? Care to post more info about this consept?