Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D PDF

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Greetings everyone,

How can I get a 3D PDF file 'directly' from NX?

As far as I am aware, NX doesn't have any option to export or save the file as pdf (3d).

Alternatives like JT file format don't serve the purpose quite well.

In case if it's not possible directly, any workarounds like getting a JT file embedded in PDF (there is one option in JT viewer but that only opens up the JT viewer itself without opening file directly in PDF viewer.

Any help would be helpful.

Regards.

Paras Raina
Technical Head | Solid Edge 2019 | NX 12.0.2
MSC Systems Pvt. Ltd. (India)
9 REPLIES

Re: 3D PDF

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

As far as I am aware, NX doesn't have any option to export or save the file as pdf (3d).

That's right.

Refer the following earlier discussions.

Any chance of a 3D PDF within NX?

3d pdf

NX JT2GO

Solution Partner Genius

@GaneshKadole

Is there any solution to this? Alternatives can work as well (just like JT file viewer; JT2Go). Just need some options so that customer can decide this for himself which one will suit him better according to his needs.

I have also come across some STEP file viewers as well.

The reason for 3D PDF is that Adobe Reader can easily open those files, so non-NX users can view the CAD data.

Paras Raina

Legend
Legend
to "export" 3d pdf you need a 3rd party application like https://tetra4d.com

If they just want to View NX files and other cad files you can invest in a viewer like Spinfire, Ensuite or Workxplore.
The above 3 will show 3d PMI info from Catia and NX.
Fusion360 does a nice job of viewing geometry only.
Rob Newcomb, CAD/CNC/Simulation manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 12.0.2 / Autoform r7 /WorkNC 2018 r2
Testing:NX EAP
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

As @R_Newcomb mentioned there are third party converters like tetra4d, anark etc. But they are not free.

Apart from JT2GO, you can also use free viewer 'XpressReview' by Siemens. Both are based on Teamcenter Visualization.

For more information, refer the documentation link 'Package parts for XpresReview'. Note that it is for native NX only. 

This command 'Send to Package File' creates file with .pcf (Package Collaboration File) format which can also be password protected. I think it requires a license to use this functionality.

Solution Partner Genius

@GaneshKadole.pcf format was natively in Solid Edge upto ST9. I know XpresReview works for viewing the models & we can add markups in the pcf files as well (which serve as a nice way to add some extra info in addition to PMI).

Nonetheless, after implementing an Industry Leader CAD software, one gets his expectations high and assumes feature as simple as 3D pdf would be in-built (just like it is in Solid Edge). Maybe Siemens wants their own formats to be used compared to us relying on other viewers for viewing the CAD data.

Thanks anyways.

Paras Raina

Solution Partner Genius

@R_NewcombIf I am not wrong, all these solutions are 'paid'.

Tetra4D is around $500/license.

Paras Raina

Legend
Legend
I didn't notice the "free" requirement.

Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro

Solution Partner Genius

@R_Newcomb

After getting a fresh new license, who expects another add-on for just converting the prt files into 3D PDFs.

Its difficult to convince the customer for even a $500 add-on/extra utility to satisfy their basic need when the competition (& even its smaller sibling) offers the same in-built from the start.

Nevertheless, JT is a nice alternative at 'no-cost'.

Paras Raina

Legend
Legend
I tend to follow the TANSTAAFL motto. I never expect anything, most times they end up taking something away with a "fresh new license"