Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Scan File (.scn) into format compatible with NX 8

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello all,

First time posting a detailed question.

I currently have a 3D scanner that creates files in the .scn format. I was wondering if anyone here knew of a way to convert a .scn file into something that is readable by NX to be able to modify or take accurate measurements off of.

Any help at all would be highly appreciated. I've been researching this for weeks now. I was also wondering if anyone has had any experience with bringing 3D scanned models into NX, and if so, could you point me in the right direction?

Ray

6 REPLIES

Re: 3D Scan File (.scn) into format compatible with NX 8

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

If you open the SCN file in a text editor (notepad or notepad++ or whatever), does it look like a text file (mostly numbers , "-" signs, periods, commas, etc.), or is it binary data (lots of strange symbols)

if it is a text file, it should be readable by a journal (or API program)

If it is binary, you will need a specific reading application/translator for the SCN data (I don't know whether or not there are any)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Pioneer
Pioneer

It's Binary... Would be nice if someone had knowledge on any translators? 

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Googling shows that format belongs to the NextEngine 3D laser scanner.

They sell a tool that from the description does what you want:

http://www.nextengine.com/products/scanstudio-cad-tools/specs/overview

Anthony Galante, Senior Support Engineer
PhoenxPLM
24 versions of NX installed: NX4 to NX12, plus TC11.2

Pioneer
Pioneer

Long story short, our company doesn't want to spend the money for the add ons.... Which to me sounds absolutely ridiculous because why even buy the 3D scanner if it's just going to be a desk paper weight. 

They want us to research if there's any "free" softwares out there to translate this format to either a .igs, .stl, .sldprt, etc etc. Which at this point I'm starting to believe (actually from the beginning) that there won't be any 3rd party "free translators" for this file type.

Thank you all for the input though!

And if there is any "free translators" I'd appreciate a heads up. I'm giving this about another couple days before telling our boss "This is a waste of time without the legitimate software".

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Have you looked into this converter?

https://www.reaconverter.com/convert/scn_to_dwf.html

They do offer a free trail and the standard converter is inexpensive if your trial is successful.

Pioneer
Pioneer

My colleague is looking into downloading it and seeing if we can use AutoCAD to do something useful with it. 

Thanks for the help.