Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

3D transitional curve

Genius
Genius
Very often a 3D bridge curve might appear ugly no matter how the tangent magnitudes are adjusted. Is there a good solution to this? Thanks!

Image.pngTrimetric viewImage.pngRight viewImage.pngFront viewImage.pngTop view
8 REPLIES 8

Re: 3D transitional curve

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom
@surfactant,

What does ugly imply, meaning what characteristics of the spline do you not like? The aspects of the Bridge Curve can be affected by many things - quality of and/or location along parent curves, Tangent Magnitude, Depth, Skew. You could create 2 of the most "beautiful" parent curves but if their intersection is "ugly", then where do you feel the issue resides?

The above examples are where a Studio Spline should excel versus Bridge Curve because after assigning continuity you can still move the interior poles to adjust the shape even further.
Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.6

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF   Thank you for your comments! Then the solution is Studio Spline + manual adjustment.

Gears Phenom
@surfactant,

Before you go plowing into another command, you may wish to consider the questions I asked and address them. The answers will lend to which command is more appropriate - what is the intent of the shape? Do you wish it to be more conic all around, particularly where you put the red arrow?

Either method is a viable solution. For Bridge Curve to look more eye-appealing, you may have to make the parent splines a bit longer or increase the Tangent Magnitude. Changing the magnitude is doing the same thing as moving the interior poles with a Studio Spline. The difference is that with Studio Spline you can move each pole, whereas with Bridge Curve the poles move as a group.

The issue might be with the parent curves, as one is very close to the change in curvature while the other is much further away. Do you really gain much by leaving the parent curve so far away from the corner? I would look more closely at the parents before changing which command I'm using for making this corner.
Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.6

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF   Thank you for your comments!

Yes, very often the problem is with the parent curves. Generally I check it with Curve Length. In most cases that seems to be the only thing what I can do, because there is very little room for further adjusting the parent curves.

image.png

Gears Phenom

@surfactant,

Your curvature combs might help you solve this - granted, my example isn't the exact same curve, but it's close in some regards.  What I tried to do was ramp the curvature a bit as I approached the intersection.  By making the new spline longer, I can pick anywhere along that length for the Bridge Curve.  When I am happy with where the Bridge Curve lays, I can trim the parent spline to the end of the Bridge Curve and go back and adjust the Bridge Curve to end at the endpoint of the spline.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.6

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF  It looks much better. Thank you for sharing!

Gears Phenom
@surfactant,

As always, you're welcome - but I hope you see that I was implying about it might not be the choice of command, but it might be the geometry to what it's referencing. In this case, making the shorter spline a bit longer and changing the curvature comb helped improve things a bit. That's quite common with transitional areas like this.
Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.6

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF   Thank you!