Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3d Scan data conversion into parametric model

Experimenter
Experimenter
Hello Sir, I have imported a 3D scanned data (STL) into NX 9.0 and wants to convert it to parametric. It is just a circular tube. Please help me out. Thanks in advanced. Manoj Dhawale
4 REPLIES

Re: 3d Scan data conversion into parametric model

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Impossible. You can import stl as facet body, you can use it as "background" to create some scketches for 3d modeling. You can try to "best fit" your scan data with cylindef or another simple primitive. Some time ago I build ugopen applicarapplication for convert stl-》solid body, non parametric.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

The old Imageware tools could do this.

They're embedded in NX somewhere - and I'm not sure how they're licensed.

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Hi Manoj,

I think we don't have a direct converter in NX, because sometimes you have to manually sketch it over again. but you can just specify some points and create a surface using NX rapid surfacing. Just import your STL file to NX then go to Menu-->Insert-->surface-->Rapid Surfacing, or just use the command finder.

use this video as a guide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjIqMQd9nT8

Regards,

Jahnsen

Genius
Genius

Good morning

starting with NX8.5 you can use the "fit surface" command for reverse engineering. The command gives you the option to rebuild associative surfaces based on scaned data as freeform surfaces, planes, spheres or cylinder or cones.

But you need the studio surface license.

https://support.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/docs/nx/nx85/85_wn/index.html#uid:index_xid2...

We use this feature for reverse engineering of forging dies with a lot of freeform surface with very good results.

Meinolf

Meinolf, , Leistritz Turbinentechnik GmbH

Production: NX10.0.3, TC 10.1.4

Testing:NX11 Beta