Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About Wrapping a curve on a tapered surface

Creator
Creator

Hi Guys,

Recently I had to design a bottle with a tapered body which has 3 ribs on that tapered surface. I tried to wrap a curve along that surface and sweep a profile to make that rib. Unfortunately, the wrapped curve doesn't seem to be straight one. it got aligned with  a angle. Can anyone suggest me a solution to wrap a curve on a tapered body without any angled alignments.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES

Re: About Wrapping a curve on a tapered surface

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

When you say tapered, do you mean a surface that is a cone?  If so, the Wrap/Unwrap Curve function should work.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Siemens Phenom

If this is the case (as in my attached  image below) I would rather use a project curve (maintaining the arc length) than wrap curve....

pr_curve.jpgBest Regards

Kapil

Siemens Phenom

As for alternatives, you could look at using an Intersection (or Section) curve, intersecting the body with a Datum Plane, rather that projecting a curve.  You could also look into Offset Curve in Face command.

Phenom
Phenom

I've ran into issues using the Project Curve with Equal Arc Length option - the results typically aren't exactly 1:1 for me when projecting onto cylindrical surfaces, probably due to Modeling tolerances being used. Also the part that should result in an arc typically results in a spline.

Wrap/Unwrap doesn't have the same issues.

-Tim