Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accumark to NX Drafting

Creator
Creator

We resently switched our CAD solution to NX10 and are now working on getting another portion of our business into NX. This other portion is textile cutting and sewing. With our old system, we would import a .dxf file from Accumark into a drawing, then add notes to the pieces and release that to the shop floor. This week, I spent way too much time trying to get this seamingly easy process into an NX drawing (Teamcenter managed). My main obsticles were: 1. Change in units. Old CAD and Accumark are in inches and NX is in MM. 2. When AccuMark saves the .dxf, all entities are in model space. When I try to import that .dxf into the shop drawing, all the entities go to modeling not on the drawing. I correct this by File-Open-dxf. This gives the option to send all model entities to drawing. 3. All the parts that are exported from Accumark are labled with a part name. When all of the entites are copied (CTRL+C) from the File-Open-.dxf file and then paisted into the shop drawing, the text is no longer selectable. 

Does anyone have any experience with this type of work? Is there anything that can make this process a little more stremlined?

Thanks in advance,  

4 REPLIES

Re: Accumark to NX Drafting

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Have you looked into using the External DWG/DXF translator under (In Windows) start all programs Siemens NX11 translator DXF/DWG import?

YOu have more control over your import settings.  Also you can import more than one DXF at a time. 

After we do this we open the new PRT in native NX to see if it translated correctly and then use in NX managed teamcenter File Import Assembly into NX.

Creator
Creator

Yes, I have tried the external translator. The File-Open-dxf method has similar options as the external translater, at least the ones that I am concerned with. 

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Note also in NX you have control over the units.

File -> New dialog has a drop down to select units.

You can also set default units in Customer defaults (File -> Utilities -> Customer defaults)

If you want to share settings among all the users on a network, I suggest you go to the "NX Customization & Programming" community & download the appropriate "NXCustom" for your version.  These have a "readme" with a fair amount of notes on how to set things up.  This works with both native and TC environments.

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Creator
Creator

Setting default units really isn't my issue, its the fact that Accumarks default is inches and NX is mm.

Thanks anyway,