Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced Weight Management Tool and Linked Bodies

Experimenter
Experimenter

I currently have a problem with the Advanced Weight Management tool. When using AWM on a model that has a linked body the tool is assigning the weight to the linked body as well as the original lower level file the link is coming from. For instance a casting, which we have a model file to represent the actual part “as cast” will be inserted into another file as a wave linked body. This wave linked body will have all the machining operations done to it in the upper level file. When this file is placed into an assembly file and we run the AWM tool in that assembly the machined linked body will be taken into account on the weight, as well as the lower level as cast file. This can be alleviated by giving the lower level file a user asserted weight of zero but this could be missed and cause an inaccurate weight to your upper level assembly. I am looking for a way if possible to have the AVM tool recognize that the lower level casting file is linked into your higher level machining file and not count that as additional weight.

• Main Assembly
    • Machining file with machined operations done to Linked Body of lower casting
      • Model of Casting to be sent to Casting Vendor

Any suggestions on another way to do this or alleviate this problem would be greatly appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Advanced Weight Management Tool and Linked Bodies

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

This information is posted in the GTAC Solutions Center:

SYMPTOM/PROBLEM
---------------
A component's weight is doubled when it is WAVE linked up to an assembly level.
In the case of linking a body of a casting up to a machining level, performing
Weight Analysis of that body reports approximately double the weight.

SOLUTION/WORKAROUND
-------------------
The Advanced Assemblies Weight management tool calculates weights of bodies in
the "Weight" reference set.  By default, the weight reference set is "MODEL"
and is assigned on the Assemblies Weight Management dialog.

However, it is not just the contents of the MODEL reference set at the
Assembly level which is calculated - it also includes the contents of the MODEL
references sets in the components.

Therefore, in order to calculate the weight of the assembly when a component
has been WAVE linked up to the Assembly level, the components MODEL reference
set must also be edited and the parent geometry used to create the WAVE linked
geometry must be removed.

Consequently, the weight shown on the Assembly Navigator for the component
[assuming that the component only contains one body] is zero.  The weight of
the component is replaced with the WAVE linked body at the assembly level.

Alternative solutions include a) creating component sets; removing the
component geometry from the component set and performing a weight calculation
based on the current component set, and b) asserting a zero weight to the
component via the Assemblies Weight Management dialog.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for the reply. After reading your reply, I am taking a look at my reference sets for my machining file and the solid reference set does contain both the casting file and the linked body. I have created a “WEIGHT” reference set that only contains the machined linked body and has the lower level casting file excluded. I have set the AMW tool to use the WEIGHT reference set but I am still getting a weight of .433 pounds for the casting, and .732 pounds for the finished machining.

Siemens Phenom

The workflow you described is one where Promoted bodies are still often considered the preferred approach.  In fact, if you give it a try I think you'll find that the overall behaviour is exactly what you're looking for.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Experimenter
Experimenter

I was discussing doing this as a promoted body with some other designers in my department and was told that “Siemens will be eliminating the promoted body functionality and it is currently no longer supported, that is the reason we typically do not use them” but I have not verified this with GTAC. I will try this as a promoted body just to see if that works though.

I have contacted GTAC and they had no other solution outside of asserting a weight of 0 pounds to the sub components at this time.

Siemens Phenom

@Jason_B wrote:

I was discussing doing this as a promoted body with some other designers in my department and was told that “Siemens will be eliminating the promoted body functionality and it is currently no longer supported, that is the reason we typically do not use them”...

That is absolutely UNTRUE!!!!  There are several NX functions, including Deformable Parts and Assembly Cut, which are done using 'promoted' bodies.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Experimenter
Experimenter

The promoted body appears to work as I had hoped. Now I will have to discuss changing our design practices with the team to see if we can use the promoted body as opposed to the Linked Body on castings.

Thank you for the help it is greatly appreciated.

Experimenter
Experimenter

We had a similar issue and the only way that we could reliably get the linked bodies to work was to make them a non-geometric component, then create a component group called "weight" and then included in the component group "all components", but then exclude by the rule UG GEOMETRY = NO (the non-geometric components).  Then when AWM is run we choose byt weight component group.  Works fine.  Only hitch is that the component group has to exist at every level you want to run the AWM at.  So if you only want to run AWM on the highest BOM line, then you could set it up there.  But, we were not sure of where a user may want to run AWM and we wanted a consistent result, so we did it at every assembly level.  It is discussed very well in this page:

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/tkb/articleprintpage/tkb-id/NXDesignKnowledgeBase/ar...

As John mentioned, promoted body is much much easier and less error prone.  In fact we have been advocating a modeling practice turn around to utilize a lot more promoted bodies.  The benefit is that you can alway create a linked body from that promoted body, if for some resone you must.  NX can convert it with no rework (double click on the promoted body in the part navigator).  If you start with the linked body and then want to convert to a promoted body, you'll have to reassociate the features manually.

Genius
Genius

Once you have assembly weight calculated, is it possible to show it in a drafting? I cant see any atribute to link it.

Experimenter
Experimenter

You can create a part attribute in a drafting note to the attribute <MassPropWeight>.  To do this you need to have the material assigned (using Tools>Assign Material) and run Advanced Weight Management (or maybe Properties>Weight>Update Weight Data Now??).  Then this attribute should be available to you.  Interestingly, I only see this when I am inserting a note and not in the general properties of the file.