Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aesthetic Face Blend- align edge?

Genius
Genius
I noticed that Alias' face-blending command "Surface Fillet" has a very useful option "Edge Align".

Does Aesthetic Face Blend have similar functionality? Thanks!

Image.png
29 REPLIES

Re: Aesthetic Face Blend- align edge?

Phenom
Phenom
@surfactant,

You will have to explain in detail what "Edge Align" does in Alias in order to compare what a similar function might do in NX. You also might want to describe what you're trying to do and what NX isn't wanting to do. You seem to be comparing apples to oranges -

What is the purpose of the curve continuity analysis? Is it the G2 result you're worried about or the non-coincidence? If the non-coincidence, turn off the Enable Length Limit and see what happens. If it's the G2 result, you may have to adjust your Aesthetic Face Blend inputs and see where it goes. Why are you not modeling past the surface intersections and trimming back to nearly the face blend tangencies???? Why analyze at the end of the blend and show the results when we don't know if that end has been trimmed or not (they are dumb bodies more or less) - you should trim that area AFTER you blend it, right?
-Tim

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF   Thank you! Sorry for the amibiguous description.

What I showed is only one half of my model. If the other half is also shown, hope you can see what I'm trying to do - removing the gap at the center line. It seems that the AFB need to be created across the center plane after morroring?

I hope that AFB can be created before mirroring, because there are still a lot of things to add before mirroring.

Image.png

Phenom
Phenom

@surfactant,

What difference does it make whether the blend is put on before or after the mirror?

EDIT:

You still should model PAST the mirror plane then trim everything to the mirror plane right before you mirror.  You DO NOT want to model UP TO the mirror plane.

You have an issue with the half that contains 2 surfaces.  The one on which you did a Match Edge is NOT TANGENT up to the mirror plane.  Fix that then see if you can do what you want with the AFB prior to mirroring.

Symmetry Issue.png

-Tim

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF  

What difference does it make whether the blend is put on before or after the mirror????

If the blend is created across the center line after the mirror, there would be no gap in the blend at the center position. Is this correct?

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF   Very sorry for the tangencey gap in the example part. Let me fix it first and see. Thank you!

Phenom
Phenom
@surfactant,

See my edited post above. I feel there is a G1 issue at the plane of symmetry/mirror plane and that MIGHT be what's causing your blend issue. I still wouldn't rely on modeling up to the plane of symmetry/mirror plane. That's just not good practice at all and I believe Cesare pointed that out a few months back in a post of yours (maybe not you but I know he said he didn't like modeling a half and then mirroring - the symmetry was too hard to achieve in most cases). I would model as Cesare advised and mirror the adjacent face then blend it all together OR if G2 wasn't a big issue, then model just past the plane and trim it back then mirror the entire half.
-Tim

Phenom
Phenom
@surfactant,

You should probably do more than that - let me upload a file that I "quick fixed" applying Edge Symmetry feature. The Face Analysis with Gaussian Radius looks pretty good and I'm getting decent continuity results. Will upload in a bit.
-Tim

Phenom
Phenom

@surfactant,

Take a look at what I did here. This is a quick fix - meaning it might be better to fix the symmetry issues with the surfaces that are closest to the plane of symmetry rather than using the Edge Symmetry command - I haven't used Edge Symmetry enough to know for sure whether it's a reliable tool in every situation. It may work here because you're using 0.5 for your G2 tolerance - if I recall correctly, the G2 was coming out around .27 or so at the highest.

Notice how I extended the surfaces before applying the AFB. I do this because I've been burned too many times having trimmed the blend's adjacent/tangent surfaces to the plane of symmetry then applying the blend only to discover that the blend drifts across the plane and doesn't come right up to it and causes either a deviation in continuity or it just won't Sew without a small gap. The deviation in the surface can still happen using this technique but I believe the larger surfaces were clean enough that the blend didn't get skewed/wonky when trimmed to the plane of symmetry.

I had to really go overboard with the Face Analysis display resolution - all the way to the top to get clean looking reflection and radius (Gaussian) results. Go ahead and check all edge continuities - I just checked across the plane of symmetry.

-Tim
Highlighted

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF   Thank you so much for teaching the technique of extending and trimming to achieve continuity across the symmetry plane!

The relavtively high G2 error doesn't matter, because G1 at the symmetry plane ssems to be enough.

In the past I prefered to use Englarge to extend surfaces. Here I realize that your adoption of Extend Sheet should be the better choice for this case.

As @Maurizio suggested, I need to decrease the tolerance for my whole model. Recently with many troubles caused by tolerance, I began to pay attenion to the tolerance issue.

Thanks again!