Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Aesthetic Face Blend- align edge?

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao to all,

if I have to do aesthetic surfaces I never use mirrored surfaces. I prefer to build the full 'primary' surfaces.

In the image I attach I used the edges of the original mirrored surfaces to build the complete surfaces.

Ciao

continuity.png

Genius
Genius

Hi @Cesare   Thank you for illustrating the technique of building surfaces across the center line! I would try to see whether it's possible to reconstruct my current project completely with the technique.

Phenom
Phenom

@surfactant,

@Cesare 's suggestion is why I originally asked you why you felt the surfaces had to be mirrored.  Historically, it's typically just easier in NX where continuities are above G1 to build both sides of the symmetric part.

However, NX does have a command in Edge Symmetry that may work in some situations, more than likely depending upon how high the continuity is going.  It's possible that once you get above G1 or G2, the Edge Symmetry command won't result in the quality surfaces that are required.  That is where the experience will come into play - you will have to experiment with this command to see where it will work and where it won't and then make note of when to use it and when to avoid it.

I am thinking that if using mirror were a cure all for every situation then a seasoned user like @Cesare would be suggesting the mirror technique each and every time.  I know this is at least the second time he has suggested buiding across the plane of symmetry versus building past it, trimming back and then mirroring or building up to the plane of symmetry and mirroring (which IMO isn't good practice when going above G1.

And of course, with all of that being said, if you plan to blend across the plane of symmetry and the geometry will allow the blend to be created the full length, you can use the technique you were originally planning to use (build up to the plane of symmetry then mirror - then blend away the discontinuous edge(s)).  I hope that makes sense.

-Tim

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF   Thank you for sharing your experience with Edge Symmetry and analysis of alternative ways getting AFB work at the symmetry plane! I do learn a lot.

Phenom
Phenom
@surfactant,

It's a bit of a process that can be quite involved - first off, you're in a situation where continuity can vary from one project to another. One day you might be modeling something where G2 has to be honored across the board. The next day, G1 with some G2 over 0.25 but below 0.5 might be good enough like this particular part.

With that being said, once you take into consideration the continuity requirements, you should be able to narrow down which techniques you might want to use when modeling. You certainly don't want to get 90% done with your models only to discover you need to go back and redo half of it with every single project/model you create.

Knowing more than 1 way to accomplish tasks and when to use one versus the other makes it a bit easier to survive in that type of environment. That's where the experience kicks in and eventually you should be able to pick and choose each technique that hopefully leads you to the results you expect in a more efficient manner.
-Tim

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@Cesare wrote:

Ciao to all,

if I have to do aesthetic surfaces I never use mirrored surfaces. I prefer to build the full 'primary' surfaces.

In the image I attach I used the edges of the original mirrored surfaces to build the complete surfaces.

Ciao

A bit of a tangent, but since I don't do any real styling, but have worked with OEM designers that do...if you were doing an automobile hood(bonnet), would you model the entire thing, rather than say, just the left side, and mirror?  and if that is the case, aren't there concerns about the LH and RH sides being different?

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

@TimF wrote:

I am thinking that if using mirror were a cure all for every situation then a seasoned user like @Cesare would be suggesting the mirror technique each and every time.  I know this is at least the second time he has suggested buiding across the plane of symmetry versus building past it, trimming back and then mirroring or building up to the plane of symmetry and mirroring (which IMO isn't good practice when going above G1.

creating the whole surface is standard practice. What's to be gained in creating a half and mirroring afterwards ?

This just makes surfs more complex because of the contraints you are bound to add.  Could anyone post an example where modeling a half is better ?

Phenom
Phenom

I'm sorry I couldn't explain myself very well. As for the exmple I provided in my previous post, it was done in a hurry and therefore not well. In normal conditions, I would never have created that full surface by using mirrored semi-surfaces, instead opting for symmetric construction curves (using those as constraints for the surface).

I hope this time to have explained myself more clearly and cleared up any misunderstandings.

Ciao :-)

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF   Thank you for your invaluable comments!

Genius
Genius

Hi @Maurizio   Thank you for your comments!

creating the whole surface is standard practice. What's to be gained in creating a half and mirroring afterwards ?

A temptation is that, modeling a half seems to be able to save half the labor.