Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aesthetic Face Blend to be mirrored

Genius
Genius
Aesthetic Face Blend is a very powerful tool for creating high quality blends. Now I'm facing a difficult situation with the command.

The model below is be mirrorred and there should be no gap at the symmetric plane (XZ). But I find that the highlighted edge of the Aesthetic Face Blend is even not planar.

Is it possible to get the blend face be tangent to Axis Y at the highlight edge? Or what's your practice in handling the situation?

Thanks!

Image.png
14 REPLIES

Re: Aesthetic Face Blend to be mirrored

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi surfactant

I can see some very small y deviation which would probably sew together ok with no gap. However if you want to get no deviation set the Trim Blend setting to "To Long". You will have to trim the base faces later but this is fairly common in surfacing.

.trim_to_long.png

Regards

Paul

Genius
Genius

Hi @Paul_Hartrick    Thanks for your reply!

In the case the base faces are exactly sized and therefore should not be trimmed. And "To Long" is unavailable.

Image.png

If I extend the base faces, create oversized blend and then trim, it seems not to definitely result in tangency at the symmetric plane.

Siemens Phenom
Hi surfactant
Can you share that example also? I’ve always overbuilt surfaces to blend with in A class surfacing. I’d like to see how we can resolve the other use case also.
Regards
Paul

Genius
Genius

Hi @Paul_Hartrick   It's just the model uploaded in the original post. Thanks!

Siemens Phenom
One other tip I can suggest. I made it a rule never to build a blend up to a mirror plane which can produce som strange highlight results after the mirror. I’d always build across the mirror plane to prevent such an problem.
Regards
Paul

Genius
Genius

Hi @Paul_Hartrick

If I extend the base faces, create oversized blend and then trim, it seems not to definitely result in tangency at the symmetric plane.

Therefore the right choice seems to be: to mirror the model first and then create the blend accross the symmetric plane.

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks!

Siemens Phenom
Hi @surfactant
That’s exactly what I would do from my exerience.
I’ll also check your other model. I won’t be until tomorrow morning japan time as I’m now away from my pc.
Regards
Paul

Genius
Genius

Hi @Paul_Hartrick   The uploaded model is simplified from my current project and just meant to represent my confusion. Thanks for sharing your practice!

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao,

when I make a symmetrical aesthetic surface, I try to make it whole to avoid continuity problems.

In the example I propose on the left there are three surfaces, two whole and one made with a tangent constraint. On the right the two whole surfaces are trimmed and then mirrored, the third only mirrored.

In all the three surfaces it is noticed that there are a discontinuity.

Therefore, even if there is a small asymmetry in the whole surfaces it can not be seen.

Ciao

aesthetic.png