cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alluminium profiles

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello there,

we often design alluminium profiles structures, so I would like to insert in the reuse library the common profiles we use.

The purpose is to pick a profile from the library and place it in my assembly, specifing the length, variable form 5 mm to 2000 mm.

There is a way to do that?

Thx

13 REPLIES

Re: Alluminium profiles

Phenom
Phenom

Check Kapilsharma's video:

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Forum/Copy-paste-sketch-lines-to-other-mod...

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Legend
Legend

We manage this by using "Solid bodies" so called Weldments in our reusable library

The issue with us is, everytime you add a  different length part to an assembly it requires a unique P/N.  This is because we were using teamcenter.

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=408466

Look at this thread I try to explain how I have our reuse library setup.  It even has an example.  It is very tought to explain how we have this setup.

The other thing when we do it this way, we can create an associative part list - cut list.  I think this would be great if Siemens had a robust way to make "cut lists" for user defined sections.

The reason we do not use deformable parts, is because you can not make a cut list and bom with associative lenghts in drawing.

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

With the help of a little NX Open automation to bypass some of the OOTB NX deficiencies, using Deformable parts to drive associatve parts lists and cut lists is very possible. See the attached video.

Legend
Legend

Very nice. Would you able to supply your PRT you show in your example?  HOw did you get each length to be associative to each part that has the same part number?  

Solution Partner Genius

Hello! Feel free to PM me for details.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you Sdeters, your way is just what I'm looking for.

Since few months ago we've worked with Solidworks, and it has a function called weldment profiles: I have just to design a 3d wireframe, then choosing the section ok the element to place into the wireframe and the joint cut type, so to obtain the frame I need, something like this:

frame.JPG

The frame is just a part, and the function even provide a cut list, so I save in my vault the frame with the cut list of the used elements.

I'll try to follow your way in NX, that seems to be very close to what I'm used to Smiley Wink

Phenom
Phenom

I didn’t want to mention about SolidWorks weldment because of its unparalleled user-friendly capabilities which is all included in the standard package.

Going beyond metal structures, with SWx, I’ve designed and built fences, Decks and tiered Stairs with automated cutlists and with optimised detailed drawings with material utilisation. For this I’ve to just create templates with the standard “Lumber” profiles and standard lengths. Also, those templates are readily available for you to download and very easy to customise according to your needs. If you want to see some samples check my website or just google.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Solution Partner Genius
The only thing in life I can't understand is why Mike spending so much time onthe NX message boards if he loves Solid Works so much? :-)

Phenom
Phenom
It’s because I don’t want to stop learning. Now I know both worlds, their strengths and weaknesses which I consider as the power of knowledge. Based on this I have submitted numerous ERs to NX and have seen some good outcomes with new release benificial to all NX users.
Some frogs have never seen or have no experience beyond the well walls. Their day time is very short or basically live in darkness. :-)
Haven't you noticed that unless someone mention other alternatives, generally I don’t initiate to talk about other side. Same happened here. Before you came to light, I was trying to help within NX capabilities.
Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW