Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative Representation (ALT REP, ALTREP)

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I can't seem to locate much on the process of using alt reps for parts or even assemblies.
I'm considering using the alt rep to show a model in a manufacturing condition as a part missing specific items that would later be machined at the assembly level.

The master part contains all the features as if it was completed and installed. The alt rep shows the part in the state before installation.

How does the alt rep function work?
Is the non-master file somehow linked to the master version of the model?
If I create a drawing off the alt rep version to depict the detail part before being assembled and I update the master model how do I drive those changes to the alt rep version of the file so the drawing updates with the new changes?

Thank you for anyone able to enlighten me on this subject.

Using NX 9.

17 REPLIES

Re: Alternative Representation (ALT REP, ALTREP)

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

The altrep and the master model are not tied to each other. Unless you linked the two, changes do not propigate from the master model to the altrep.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
So the only ways to update it is to change the same features as done in the master or delete it and recreate it again?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Unless you link the two, yes.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Awesome! Thank you for the info!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Why don't use instead use WAVE to extract an asscociative body (at a rolled back stage in the feature tree as well) and then use Synchronous Modeling if necessary to eliminate or change the model for your purposes?  You can save this as a separate dataset.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I suppose I could do that as well for the Alt Rep so I have that Teamcenter relation just by deleting all the features in the non master and wave linking the geometry back in.

Just so I have the process down...

In order to get the WAVE linked geometry I would assembly both into an assembly or assemble one into another in order to WAVE link them, correct?

And if I assemble the Master into the Non Master I could suppress it so it's not shown in the Non master part but still keep the original associativity?

Thanks!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You can structure the source part as a component of your target, but if you have a full WAVE Control license, you can directly link the target part to the source part without parenting one over the other.

Also ,you wouldn't want to suppress the source part since the target will never update if changes are made to the source part.  A better option is to set the source part's Reference Set to Empty.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Beautiful! Thank you for the detailed information. Very much appreciated!

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I've never used, now worked anyplace that used ALTREPS.  What are they for?  is it a legacy item, that has better ways now?

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10