Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analysis -> Measure neutral factor ?

Genius
Genius

Hello ( Sheet metal parts )

Is there a Measure neutral factor(=K-factor) command in Analysis ?

When I click Resize Neutral Factor how to measure that the neutral factor is really increased or downcreased ?

• How to check the neutral factor for each bend ?
10 REPLIES

Re: Analysis -> Measure neutral factor ?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

In NX 12 there is a Visual Report for it. But I see, you have NX 11...

Without that Visual Report it can be cumbersome and it depends a little bit what you want to do or what you did. Look into the feature which is responsible for the bend. Bend Parameter -> Neutral Factor

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

I have no simple way to list all the k-factors used in a model.

You can select all the features like Bends/Flanges etc. in the part navigator and then RMB information. This will list down the complete set of parameters including the K-Factor (though i admit it will be a bit cumbersome to figure out if the bends are too much). Visual reports are the best way to figure it out as already explained by @Thomas_K .

Might be DFMPRo could have some sheet metal check for it too (which again i am not sure of...sorry).

You can also post the query on our Sheet metal community forum

Best Regards

Kapil

Siemens Phenom

Hello @12131444,

As explained above, we have introduced the visual reporting tools for the sheet metal parameters in NX12.

2018-03-19 11_03_59-Siemens NX - Sheet Metal.jpg

You are correct there are no tools to find this out in NX11.  I would like to understand the reason for needing to know the value before resize neutral factor is applied - then I can maybe offer an alternate solution for you.

thanks

Dave

Genius
Genius
Reason=
If multiple flanges exist it takes time to change all of the K-factors inside... I only press "Resize neutral factor" and it changes all of them.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Maybe then you should use the Neutral Factor everywhere as a Global Value - or everywhere the same Expression. That could be less work.

Genius
Genius

How to enter "Global Value" ?
I now insert the K \ N-factor inside flanges and \ or contour flanges.

Some parts are NX Body parts \ Bodies (=no history tree) and I turn them into sheet metal ( Cleanup Utility + Convert to Sheet Metal )...So I don't know what is the K \ N-factor of the bodies.

Siemens Phenom

Hi,

The global values are here in the customer defaults. As soon as you use Convert to sheet Metal utility the default K value is assigned to the bends i guess. 

neutral.jpg

Best Regards

Kapil

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I would have sweared, you can set the Neutral Factor in the Convert feature. But it's not there... Now I'm wondering a bit.

In NX 11 you can sort the expressions by name, this could help. And again: If you change the NFs, I recommend do it with an expression.

Siemens Phenom

@kapilsharma, you need to be a little bit careful here.  When you create a new part from a template, the neutral factor is stored there as a part default (see scope setting in image below). 

2018-03-20 08_45_50-Find Default.jpg

Customer Defaults that have 'scope = part' are only applicable if you create a completely blank part.  Neutral Factor can be changed in the part properties tab under preferences:

2018-03-20 08_47_00-Sheet Metal Preferences.jpg

When a part is imported using Convert to Sheet Metal, the Neutral Factor is read from Part Properties.

My recommended workflow for importing would be:

• Import/open part to be converted to sheet metal
  • Change to the sheet metal application
  • Set the part properties for nuetral factor
  • Rip any edges and cleanup
  • Convert to Sheet Metal (you can use the wizard for these last three steps)

Dave