Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Animations - without Animation Designer?

Genius
Genius

Hello, I was recently asked if it would be possible to make a "simple" animation that shows some components get bigger while some other components are getting smaller.  Is this something that's possible to do?  I have no experience doing animations and also don't have Animation Designer.  Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Animations - without Animation Designer?

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

Hi @s_hightower 

In theory, yes, this is possible using "Menu > View > Visualization > Create Animation".  You can set a FrameNumber expression that increments with each frame in an animation.  Therefore, by using this expression you can control individual parts, or assemblies.  While I've used this is the past to drive distance expressions for positioning constraints in an assembly, I haven't used it to drive changes in the components during an animation, though with commands like deformable part I can see that this could be possible - maybe you could even use the expression to drive interpart expressions.

There are some old newsletter articles showing the use of the FrameNumber expression.  While they're dated, they should still be relevant.

Regards, Ben

Genius
Genius

Hi @BenBroad ,  Thanks for the information.  I'll review it.   One question:  Is it possible to show two components changing simultaneously - one component getting bigger and another component getting smaller - at the same time?  Maybe that will be reviewed in the articles you linked.  I haven't had to do anything like that in the past.  I was always only concerned about a final product and never about showing things happening at the same time, so I'm not sure if this is possible.  It may be easy/simple for others, but I haven't had to deal with it yet.  Thanks

Highlighted

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

Hi @s_hightower 

Here's a rudimentary example:

(view in My Videos)

Regards, Ben

Genius
Genius

@BenBroad,  Thanks for the video!  That's impressive.  I really appreciate you getting that so quickly!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @s_hightower !

My approach is not as elegant as @BenBroad 's, but for a case of showing different "stages" of a part (i.e. like it's "growing" or "shrinking") here a quick-and-dirty trip I've used:

1. Create multiple parts to represent the stages (they could be the same part with different parameters or completely different parts)

2. Put them all in an Assy

3. Create a Sequence where only 1 at a time is visible (you can Suppress by Expression if you want to be fancy or just manually set them up as I usually do).

4. Run through the Sequence, which shows one at a time.

I-deas users used to use this trip to simulate animation of springs and such, where you stored copies of the spring at different lengths.

It's sort of the CAD equivalent to drawing cartoons on corners of notepad pages then flipping through them.