Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any efficient way to design this?

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hello All!

Some of you might've already opened this part file, which is there in my last post also.

Basically I have to make surface sections like these (can be anything, in this case, it's an alphabet T).

There must be some more efficient way to do this.

I have to create multiple planes, multiple section curves, and multiple points (all these things are repetitive, take, for example, datum planes).

- What I want to know is can I just select all the points at one time, and get multiple planes?

- If this is not possible, can someone suggest me a faster way to design surfaces like these?

T.JPG

I'm new to NX so I'm not fimiliar with all of the curves & surfacing commands.

Thanks a million!

Regards,

Paras Raina

Paras Raina
Sr. Application Engineer | Solid Edge ST10 | NX 11
MSC Systems Pvt. Ltd. (India)
12 REPLIES

Re: Any efficient way to design this?

Phenom
Phenom

Will this work for you?

mf_t_20171128.JPG

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Experimenter
Experimenter

try this

Solution Partner Genius

Good Idea @mike_fdo. But the only problem is sweep command. It works good for straight and curved paths, but when the path is projected onto some suface (which is actually the case for me), sweeping doesn't create smooth curves in the corners. This is why I used through curve mesh.

In any case, I'll give it a go and see if it works out.

Thanks for taking out the time on this.

@rcgI have to use the tool because later on, this shape is machined. Creating sections one by one and trying to match them with tool specifications might create some difference in the end shape. Thanks for the effort though.

If you guys have any other suggestions, please let me know. By using fewer commands, I would be able to save loads of time ultimately (no matter how small the reduction is).

Paras Raina

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao @Paras_R,

maybe the examples I attach can help you.

The first (Test.prt) shows  the transition fron one shape to another simply replacing the first sketch with the second. Select the first sketch from the part navigator, RMB then select Replace command.

The oval 'cup' will turn into a another shape 'cup'.

In this file I have used some tricks to achieve 'robust' modeling. For example I used face edge selection in the first extrusion, so NX will extrude any face regardless of shape.I used the Region selection  in the offset face command, so NX will offset any face.... And so on.

The second (punch.prt) uses a Sheet metal command with a very similar technique shown above (body selection). Try to replace the first sketch with the second in this part too.

Ciao

Cesare

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Have you looked into sweep solid volume?  This seemed to work pretty well.  I like the swept solid volume

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Sorry I uploaded the PRT in NX12.  Give me a couple minutes I will re upload in NX11.  Sorry My fault.

Solution Partner Genius

@CesareThose examples work well when we need to work on multiple sketches and have some 'predefined' steps that must be followed everytime. Thanks for sharing.

@sdeters  Swept volume is good for straight paths, but when the curves get a little more tricky, it gives up, and outputs an incorrect shape instaed. In my case, I tried doing it along a curve projected onto a surface. It all went fine until a sharp curve (just like the bends in example T part, but assume if the T sketch is projected on a curved surface).

I'll upload another part, if possible, for you guys to check out. Still, thanks for all the help everyone. Each and every tip was very useful, and I learned many new things.

They say "Sharing is Caring".

Thanks

Paras Raina

Paras Raina

Phenom
Phenom

Have you investigated what you can do with the Emboss command?

The difference is that you would need the sketch for the "T" to be a closed sketch.

emboss.jpg

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

See attached for a different approach that didn't require any surfacing.

Screenshot - 11_30_2017 , 1_09_58 PM.png

Regards, Ben