Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to speed up sluggish NX?

Genius
Genius

Hello,

NX is currently acting more sluggish, so I'm wanting to see if anything can be done to speed it up.  I'm supposed to be getting a new computer, so I don't want to consider hardware changes or anything like that.  Would it be helpful for me to  uninstall NX and re-install it or is there something less drastic that can be done? 

I notice it especially being slow when I have coordinate systems and other datums displayed in an assembly.  I wasn't sure if this was just typical for NX or if there is a problem. 

I try to run "ccleaner" when my computer is acting slow.  I had also seen from this site, or another, that NX doesn't do well with RAM, so it was recommended to close NX and restart the computer daily; so I have been doing that as well.  Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Any way to speed up sluggish NX?

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

Hi @s_hightower,

I don't believe that reinstalling NX will speed things up.

Typically how many other applications do you have running concurrently at any time when you're using NX (these are all using valuable RAM as well)?  Do you observe the RAM in Task Manager when NX is running?  Are you running out of RAM and swapping out to the hard drive?  It's odd that you mention NX being notably slow when CSYS and Datums are displayed - this almost sounds like a graphics driver issue.  What graphics card do you have installed?

You mention that you use CCleaner - does this clean out all temporary folders that NX uses?  Common ones to check would be C:\temp and C:\users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp, though you can direct NX to use other locations so check your log file for "temp" and "tmp" to see if anything else shows up and clean up those folders.

Another known issue is that the files in the NX Profile directory can get large and can slow down the session (C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Siemens\NX100).  Exit NX and delete (or rename if you just want to see if there's a difference) the history.pax and DialogMemory.dlx files.  Restart NX and see if there's any notable difference.

Regards, Ben

Genius
Genius

Hello @BenBroad.  Thank you for the detailed reply.  I do really appreciate it.  I'll try to answer the questions, best that I can.  I definitely am more used to running the CAD softwares instead of maintaining my computer.  I typically try to have our helpdesk deal with that.  I do rely on them, but not sure if my system is set up as best as it can be.

With applications running, I do try to keep that down to a small amount.  We do use Outlook, so I've got that running. I'll also have Firefox or Chrome and then have Skype, a session or so of Excel and maybe a few images shown on screen, too. 

As far as observing RAM in Task Manager, I haven't typically been doing that.  I'll re-start my computer when I get a memory violation error pop-up in NX.  How can I tell if the RAM is swapping out to the hard drive?

I'm surprised that  you said that it's odd that I mentioned NX being notably slow when the CSYS and Datums are displayed.  That is interesting.  I have an NVIDIA Quadpro K4000 installed.  Is that what you are asking about?  It came with the computer when I started here, so that's what I've been using.  I'll contact the helpdesk and tell them that NX is running slow and they'll check it over and say it's fine - or give minor recommendations.

CCleaner cleans up temporary internet files, Cookies, history, cleans out recycle bin, temporary files and that type of thing.  It also does some registry checks.   It looks like it does not clean out C:temp and the other one you mentioned.  Good things to check.

With the "NX Profile directory", was I supposed to delete the NX100 directory?  (I haven't done that yet - thought it would be good to ask first.)  My "DialogMemory.dlx" is 9.13 MB and the "history.pax" is 72.5 KB.  Again, thanks for the help.

Legend
Legend

I found this on this board or most likely the previous newsgroup many years ago and still use it today, though I run it manually, Not as a login/logoff script.

you can set the number of days of syslogs to keep.

rem ### logoff script to clear temporary folder,
rem ### but keep NX syslogs for a specified number of days
rem
rem ### save as ClearTempFolder.cmd

set SysLogKeepDays=1

rem ### get rid of ugs_router syslogs

for %%F in ( %TMP%\ugs_router* ) do del /f /q "%%~F"

rem ### delete temporary files and folders

attrib -r -s -h "%TMP%\*" /s /d

for /d %%D in ( %TMP%\* ) do rmdir /s /q "%%~D"

if "%DATE:~2,1%" EQU "/" (
    call :ParseEnglishDate %DATE%
) else (
    call :ParseDate %DATE%
)

call :DateToDays
set /a LimitDays="%DateDays% - %SysLogKeepDays%"

for %%F in ( %TMP%\* ) do call :CheckFile "%%~F" "%%~tF" "%%~xF"

rem ### prevent falling into subroutines

goto :EOF

rem ### subroutines

:CheckFile
    if "%~3" NEQ ".syslog" goto :DeleteMe

if "%DATE:~2,1%" EQU "/" (
        call :ParseEnglishDate %~2
    ) else (
        call :ParseDate %~2
    )

call :DateToDays
    if %DateDays% GTR %LimitDays% goto :EOF

:DeleteMe
    del /f /q "%~1"

:ParseDate
    for /F "tokens=1,2,3 delims=." %%A in ('echo %~1') do (
        set /a Day="1%%~A - 100"
        set /a Month="1%%~B - 100"
        set Year=%%~C
    )

:ParseEnglishDate
    for /F "tokens=1,2,3 delims=/" %%A in ('echo %~1') do (
        set /a Day="1%%~B - 100"
        set /a Month="1%%~A - 100"
        set Year=%%~C
    )

:DateToDays
    set /a YearDays="%Year% * 365"
    set /a MonthDays="%Month% * 30"
    set /a DateDays="%YearDays% + %MonthDays% + %Day%"
Rob Newcomb, CAD/CNC/Simulation manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 12.0.2 / Autoform r8 /WorkNC 2019 r1
Testing:NX 1855
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro

I'll also have Firefox or Chrome and then have Skype...

Both browsers are memory hogs and allegedly Firefox has some memory leaks.

As far as observing RAM in Task Manager, I haven't typically been doing that.

There are better (alternative) Windows utilities, such as Resource Monitor and Performance Monitor which give you a better idea of how your memory is being used.

I'll re-start my computer when I get a memory violation error pop-up in NX.

Not really necessary.  This just means that NX is attempting to read memory that no longer exists.  You should be okay with just reopening parts in the session, but it's best to restart NX just to be on the safe side.

How can I tell if the RAM is swapping out to the hard drive?

The Windows utilities I mentioned above can help you identify how much memory is being swapped.  As far as I know, Windows is always paging to virtual memory and even when you close applications to free up physical RAM, Windows will continue to use (and add to) the virtual memory.  What you might find is that software you've installed, over the course of owning your workstation, gets preloaded into memory each time you restart your workstation - this makes things quicker to start but uses up valuable physical RAM.  You can control which programs get preloaded using the Windows System Configuration utility (msconfig).  There's a ton of information regarding all of these utilities on the interwebs - Google is your friend (though these days duckduckgo.com is looking better every day).

I have an NVIDIA Quadpro K4000 installed.

A good 'certified' card (and better than mine).  It sounds like your helpdesk are on top of things. 

With the "NX Profile directory", was I supposed to delete the NX100 directory? 

My "DialogMemory.dlx" is 9.13 MB and the "history.pax" is 72.5 KB. 

I would simply rename the NX100 folder rather than delete it - just make sure you exit any NX sessions first.  Your files don't seem that large - so this could be a non-issue.

If you do decide to test this and want to revert back to the original folder, exit NX, delete the new NX100 folder, rename the original folder back to NX100 and restart NX.

Regards, Ben

Genius
Genius

@BenBroadand @R_Newcomb, Thanks for the information!  I'll definitely study and apply what you've listed.  Much appreciated!

Legend
Legend

Hi @s_hightower

I am not sure, but accordding to your situation, 

allocated memory is the major reason of the problem.

- Generally, if you can see datum and CSYS within assembly,

you may turned reference set of the part to 'Entire part'.

it can increase usage memory.

You can check current memory usage status from Task manager, performance.

If current memory usage is impending your physical memory,  

your physical memory is not enough for your work pattern.

If physical memory is not too few or you are using 64bit OS,

you must check your work pattern or part specific problem.

There are workflow procedures to reduce the amount of memory needed (as well as speed-up load times)

- Use Assembly Groups and open only portion of the assembly needed. 

(Set your Load Options to use 'Structure only')

- Using lightweight representations of the Components
- Set your Load Options to enable 'Partial Loading' and to NOT load 'Interpart Data'.

Sunkap Ahn, Senior Support Engineer

logo

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

This script could be placed in the users startup folder too, could it not?  I didn't notice a shutdown command in it, that would create any sort of "loop", but I'm not very code literate anymore.

-Dave
NX 11 testing NX1847+ | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Dave -

It exits at the "GOTO EOF" line

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

From a GTAC perspective, and if you're going to use this script, you might want to keep your syslogs for longer than a day.  It's not unusual that we ask you to send us log files from the previous week.