cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else annoyed that TC uses a registry setting to determine how to start NX?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Currently, TC uses the registry setting "Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ugmportalfile\Shell\Open\Command" to determine the .BAT file used to start NX.

More an more, I am finding that annoying.  While for many users, that probably works fine, I have to deal with different TC instances (development/qual/production/etc.) which need to start NX differently (using different "start_nxmnager.bat" files). 

Right now, we are using a REG command in the portal.bat used to start TC, but (I'm pretty sure) that will no longer work in a few weeks when they take away Admin access to our machines (due to the NIST requirements).

Does anyone agree with me, to the point I should file an IR/ER?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

4 REPLIES

Re: Anyone else annoyed that TC uses a registry setting to determine how to start NX?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I've had to work around this by using VMs to do my testing.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Re: Anyone else annoyed that TC uses a registry setting to determine how to start NX?

Genius
Genius
Hi Ken,

Yes, I would file an IR - maybe someone at Siemens can point you in a direction that works around the registry/admin issue or improve things with TC in the future so that it's a non-issue.
-Tim

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Ken, 

I had a system where batch file in the Teamcenter Portal directory would call my own batch file to determine what version of NX to start. Most of the time now I run NX in managed mode by starting NX and having it connect to my Teamcenter instance and do have a need to run the TC rich client. Due to this I cannot find the files on my system to do the first case. But it can be done with batch files and setting up your own variables to control what version of NX to start. 

Scott

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I have a solution using ENV variables set in the portal.bat, and used in a "common" start_nxmanager.bat, but that will be "interesting" to maintain...

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled