Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are later versions of NX more user friendly than 12.0.1.7?

Genius
Genius

Hello,

Unfortunately, we've been told that we're stuck with the bug-ridden 12.0.1.7 until Q3 and I'm hoping that later versions aren't as bad.  I keep saying "it can't get worse".  Unfortunately I keep proven wrong.  Specifically for this time, I'm not talking about the ignorant behavior that NX takes to assemble components (with automatically trying to put one "solid" component in another "solid" component instead of thinking that two solid components may be assembled on top of each other (in an align/touch constraint)) or trying to automatically do a hole pattern outside of the part instead of assuming a hole would be in a solid instead of air.)

For this post, I'm referring to how I will try to be using the measurement tool and then I'll not be able to find the result - only to find that the pop-up window with the measurement result is actually hiding behind the main Measure pop-up window.  I'll have to move that pop-up window out of the way to see the other pop-up window behind it.  

I'll also do other procedures and a pop-up window will be displayed and the bottom corner of the window will be outside of the view screen and I'll have to move the pop-up window up so that I can hit OK or Close to actually do something with the window. 

One would think that NX was smart enough to not hide behind itself or would know where it and the viewable screen was so that someone did not have to move the window just so that a button could be hit.  

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Are later versions of NX more user friendly than 12.0.1.7?

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@s_hightower,

I can imagine the pains through which you're going.

I cannot offer any suggestions other than to go the route of ERs. I know you're probably tired of hearing that response but that is typically what gets the most attention.

In regards to your issues with the Measurement tool, I would suggest joining in the discussion in this thread, as the particular manager for that project is being very responsive to questions and complaints: https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Forum/NX-12-Measure/td-p/495453/page/14

I cannot comment on anything past NX11 but in regards to the graphics window popups (around here, slowly being referred to as "gnats" because they always appear where you don't want them) I can relate quite closely. I've never liked the ones that show up in Drafting as you're creating a dimension - they typically get in the way more often than being useful. Based on that alone, I would much rather the Measurement results stick to the good old Information Window (which can be resized and moved and stays at that location once it's moved - the "gnats" do not).  The most recent response about that what that the Info Window took up too much screen real estate - but that's if you're using 1 monitor and if you never move or resize it.  I doubt that anything will change in that regard based on what I read but you don't know for sure unless you ask and log the ERs.

Sorry I couldn't be of much more help!

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.6

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF , Thanks for the info.  That's was rather humorous that you refer to different things as gnats.  I've referred to some of the stupid behavior of pop-up windows being in the way as "mosquitoes".  The pop-up windows keep appearing right where you need to work.  I don't know how many times I'll just put a dimension or something in place just so I can get the pest pop-up out of the way and then go back and move the dimension or text after that to get it where I want it.  With some of these things, it would seem like the developers would want to look at other product and see how things are done.  It's crazy.  Thanks

Highlighted

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

@s_hightower wrote:

I've referred to some of the stupid behavior of pop-up windows being in the way as "mosquitoes".  The pop-up windows keep appearing right where you need to work.  I don't know how many times I'll just put a dimension or something in place just so I can get the pest pop-up out of the way and then go back and move the dimension or text after that to get it where I want it.

Existing ER 7543666: Disable Popup menu On Screen dialogue box

Until something is implemented, use F3 to temporarily hide the mosquitos.

f3nomosquitos.png

Genius
Genius

Thanks, @BenBroad !   Smiley Happy