Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arrangements

Pioneer
Pioneer

With NX 10, is it possible to set the model to use a different arrangement than the drawings as a default.  I have project which was designed and drawings created with the component in one orientation and the customer subsequently came back and asked for the part to be rotated about the x axis.  In order to achieve this, I created an alternative arrangement with the component rotated and I would like to set this as the default arrangement without affecting the drawings.  I haven't found a way to set individual views to use a particular arrangement and since I can only set one arrangement as a default for both the drawings and model at the top level, I'm stuck trying to find a way so that when the customer opens the model, the part is rotated correctly without affecting the drawings - any ideas?

Thanks

8 REPLIES

Re: Arrangements

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Have a look at the video below. It shows how you can create views on your drawing with different arrangements by selecting the part that contains the arrangement.

Bear in mind that in NX10 it isn't possible to change the arrangement shown in a view after the view is created.

(view in My Videos)

Anthony Galante, Senior Support Engineer
PhoenxPLM
24 versions of NX installed: NX4 to NX12, plus TC11.2

Pioneer
Pioneer

Unfortunately, that's my problem.  I would like the model to default to the rotated configuration when opened by the customer and all of the drawings would be linked to the non rotated configuration.

Solution Partner Phenom

then make your rotated configuration the default arrangement.

PhoenxPLM

Pioneer
Pioneer

But if I make the rotated configuration the default arrangement, when the customer opens the drawings, everything will be out of date and if they try to update, all of the drawing views blow up because the model is now rotated.  I either need to fix the drawing view so that when the model is rotated, the drawing view is fixed to the non-rotated position or ?

Normally it wouldn't be a big deal, but there are numerous sheets to this drawing, with weird section cuts that was created by someone else and now I'm trying to make it meet the customer requirements.

Solution Partner Phenom

When I open a part that contains arrangements, it doesn't matter whether a arrangement is the default or not, it will open the with the arrangement that was enabled when the file was last saved.

Doesn't that work for you if you save your model with the rotated arrangement enabled (not the default)?

PhoenxPLM

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

What I would do is make the arrangement in your assembly to your default that you are wanting.  Go back to your drawing and update your views.  Now they will probably reference the new default arrangement.  All you have to do is make a temp base view using the specific arrangement that you want that view to reference.  Once that is done, edit the view border of the view you want to change and at the very bottom there is a change properties to match selected object.  Click selected object and then select your temp view.  Now that view is using the arrangement you want.  delete your temp view.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Just a side note to this thread. The ability to update arrangements on drawings in now in NX 11. I know this does not help you now but I just wanted to get the word out.

Scott

Pioneer
Pioneer

Yeah, I had seen that - several new additions in NX 11 would make this project quite a bit easier, but change happens slow - hopefully we'll see 11 sometime soon.

Thanks for the heads up though.