Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembling different part family parts

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hi guys,

I have an assembly consisting of two parts.

Both of these parts have part family members inside.

I want to have different configurations of this assembly.

Let's say Family Member 2 of Part ONE and Family Member 5 of Part Two.

Then another configuration could be with Family Member 1 of Part ONE and Family Member 8 of Part TWO.

How can I do this?

Cem

10 REPLIES

Re: Assembling different part family parts

Legend
Legend

Try Assembly Arrangements with different configurations of family parts.

BR,

Makarand

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

One thought...

When adding members of a Part Family, the selection criteria can be driven by expressions, and the part family members can be automatically swapped in response to an expression edit, followed by the "Part Family Update" operation.

Product Template Studio (PTS) is one way to easily:

a) perform this expression edit and 

b) automate the subsequent "Part Family Update" operation

The attached AVI shows a small assembly where the cleat body, the screws, and the lock washers are all Part Family members being intelligently swapped using one top-level "load" expression.

Oh, and the basic select-part-family-members-based-on-expressions capability has been around in Unigraphics since long before NX 1.  (Maybe UG 13 or 14, if I remember right.)  PTS has been around since NX 5, of course, and the AVI is from NX 6.  :-)

Taylor Anderson
NX Product Manager, Knowledge Reuse and NX Design
Tel: +1 (602) 441-0683
taylor.anderson@siemens.com

Legend
Legend

Hi Taylor Aderson,

Good example of PTS in the video.

However, you need seperate license to operate PTS, need to build PTS for the assembly/parts, do modeling of the parts accordingly. Part Family is part of regular license and can be used easily with OOTB application with little expertise.

Do you have a video showing how you built the PTS for the assembly you have shown in video ?

Best Regards,

Mak

Siemens Phenom

Actually, as I mentioned above, the purpose of the Product Template interface in the example above is just to:

a) make it easier to edit the correct expression and then

b) automate the subsequent "Part Family Update" operation

And so again, 95% of the operation of this model is just normal NX functionality.  The basic select-part-family-members-based-on-expressions capability is not limiited to PTS, specifically, and has been around in Unigraphics since long before NX 1.  (Maybe UG 13 or 14, if I remember right.)

Without PTS, the user must manually:

a) understand which expression to edit

b) edit the expression within proper bounds

c) always remember to execute the "Part Family Update" operation

And so in this case (and pretty much every case) the purpose of the Product Template interface is to simplify and collect the necessary user interaction into one place.

Does that make sense?

I didn't have AVIs of Product Template interface authoring for this cleat, specifically, but that took about two minutes to recreate. (Literally. Each took less than one minute. Smiley Happy)  I've attached two videos...  One shows the classic Java-based authoring prior to NX 10, and the other shows the new PTS UI inside NX.  

Enjoy!

Taylor Anderson

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hi guys,

I'm up against Pro/E here. The thing got more complex afterwards.

They can use the below structure with family of parts.

The thing is:

-There is a table like below in an excel or a tab or comma delimited txt file.

POINTS.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKYa282sMlA The link shows how the points are imported or created in Pro/e

The first column is X coordinate and 2nd is the Y coordinate of a point.

for example there are 10 points in the first part.

Consider that the 10 point's coordinates in the first part in the family is X and Y1, second part is X and Y2, 3rd part is X and Y3, 4th part is X and Y4 and this goes on...

Then in the first part, the user creates a sketch that goes through these points, simply connetcs them in an order.

When he finishes the sketch in the first part, the other parts in the family are ready with the sketches having different Y coordinates.

When he makes an extrude on a part of the sketch in the first part, the other parts have the extrude, too, with the points of the sketch coordinates being changed.

How can we do this??

Siemens Phenom

How about like this?  :-)

The Points are driven by Point Expressions, and the choose_configuration expression causes NX to read the appropriate column from Excel.  Changes in the spreadsheet can be associatively reflected in the part.  And just for fun, there's a Product Template interface on there to automate the change and the Update for External Change (in case the spreadsheet has changed since the last edit.)

Taylor Anderson

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

The Family member selection criteria with expression works fine. I am trying to figure out how to set single component partfammembers with assembly expressions.

Assume the following simple assy1 with expression PF_lenght=100

This results after update of all members in

assy1

100_model1

100_model1

This is OK and works (in NX10) without pre-generating the members. Nice.

Now assume I have

partfam model1

with members

100_model1

100_model1

what I would like to achieve:

assy with expression for example PF_1_lenght=100 and PF_2_lenght=200 and after update partfam members resulting in something similar to

assy

1_100_model1

2_200_model1

Ways to get the desired result are

Adding an intermediate level and manage the PF_lenght expression in the intermediate levels

assy

comp1 (with PF_lenght100)

100_model1

comp2 (with PF_lenght200)

200_model1

this is not desired because of unneeded components.

Extending the partfamily with an column with expression comp with value 1 and 2, this means duplicating the number of rows in the partfamily is not an option. because in the actual case we needs 2400 rows, and have 4 partfammembers, and would need extending to 9600 rows.

Question

can this be achieved in a more simple way without PTS? can this be achieved with PTS?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello Mr. Taylor Anderson

Wen you say :

"The attached AVI shows a small assembly where the cleat body, the screws, and the lock washers are all Part Family members being intelligently swapped using one top-level "load" expression.

Oh, and the basic select-part-family-members-based-on-expressions capability has been around in Unigraphics since long before NX 1.  (Maybe UG 13 or 14, if I remember right.)  PTS has been around since NX 5, of course, and the AVI is from NX 6. "

Where i can find this option to control a part family in the PTS or "select-part-family-members-based-on-expressions" ?

Thanks

Siemens Phenom

Gelson --

PTS is really just changing an expression value here, and then automating the Part Family Update, which otherwise must be initiated manually.

When any part family member is originally added to an assembly, an expression can be used to "intelligently" select the family member. In the image below, for example, "max_payload" is the column in the Part Family Table, and "payload" is the expression that will be driving this selection:

PART_FAMILIES_choose_family_member.png

and so when the "payload" expression changes, a different family member can be automatically reselected here, based on its usage with the "max_payload" and "min_payload" parameters.  

Again, normally the Part Family Update must be manually invoked, but PTS allows this Part Family Update to be automatically invoked as the driving expression value is changed, both in the older pre-V10 Java UI:

2016-01-27_10-24-56.png

...or in the new NX 10 UI inside NX:

2016-01-27_10-22-56.png

This has worked since about UG V12 or so when part families were introduced, and while the documentation doesn't exactly trumpet this capability, it's in there. :-)

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/10/nx_help/#uid:index_assemblies:id665941:func_detai...

The biggest limitation here (and a good ER, hint, hint...) would be to enable editing of these Part Family Member selection criteria.  That's a current gap in this solution.

Does that make sense?

Taylor Anderson