Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly Arrangements

Builder
Builder
Hi All
Is there any documentation relating to how assembly arangments suppose to work. I know they have many different applications, what i need is for example iny top level assembly, an arrangment that controls the opening of clamps. So in my design i have many sub asm's that contain clamps. Each one would have a certain open position and a certain closed position. Each clamp in the sub assemblies will have different angles. Now i have a design review. I want to , with minimal clicking and time, "close" all clamps or "open" all clamps in one action from the top level asm. Now i have to go to the constraint of each clamp within each sub asm and toggle it by changing the angle value. This has been bothering me for many years and i guess i am getting fedup. If anyone has any info on this i would really apreciate the help.

Thank you.
NX10.3 Win10 64bit, Tecnomatix PS V13.1.
4 REPLIES

Re: Assembly Arrangements

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Now i have to go to the constraint of each clamp within each sub asm and toggle it by changing the angle value. 

Did you use arranagement specific constraints?

Regards,
Ganesh

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Note you could do some "expression magic" to do this.  (note that arrangements might be better in the long term, as you could have more than 2 states, e.g. "all open", "all closed", "Only_Group1_Open", etc.)

1) Create an expression like "Clamps_Open", (constant) set to 0 (closed) or 1 (open)

(this could be a string expression, but that makes the logic slightly more complex)

2) For each clamp, set the angle based on "Clamps_Open", e.g.:

clamp_1_angle = If(Clamps_Open == 0) 0 else 60

with 0 (closed) and 60 (open) angles as appropriate for each clamp.

This way you just edit "Clamps_Open" to switch all from one state to the other

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Arrangements in the higher level assemblies remember which arrangement is "used" in the immediate child assemblies.  

Set the arrangement in the top level to "All Open", then set each of the subassemblies to "Open".

Set the arrangement in the top level to "All Closed", then set each of the subassemblies to "Closed".

Now you can just toggle the arrangement in the top level between "All Open" and "All Closed" to change all of the lower level assemblies.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello, there is training for Assembly Arrangements at the Learning Advantage site. Located here: "https://training.plm.automation.siemens.com/".   You do need a login and password for this site.  If you can access this site and browse under Self-Paced Courses, you can expand out CAD-Foundation, Assembly Modeling - Fundamentals and find a course called "Assembly arrangements and component patterns".learning adv.JPG