Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Assembly Constraints, Align , Align, Infer Centeraxis. Differences

Phenom
Phenom

I have sub assembly, that I have downloaded off of the internet.  I have a part I designed in NX.  I have these two parts in an assembly.

When I use the Align command with the align option, and I align the centerlines.  The sub assembly flips 45 degrees or so.

When I use the align with infer center axis,and I align the centerlines, the sub assembly aligns itself as it should and does not rotate. 

Please explain some possible reasons for the sub assembly flipping when I use the align with the align option.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Assembly Constraints, Align , Align, Infer Centeraxis. Differences

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi sdeters,

Difficult to say on vauge information.... However are you consistent when selecting the lines to align - they have directional sense. If selected differently they might cause your flipping issues...

Best Regards

Fred

Phenom
Phenom

I have attached a simple NX 12 assembly.  Try Aligning The P*868 bore centerline to the shaft component.    If you use the align, with the align set in orientation, you will see the sub assembly rotate a bit.  If you do the same but change align to infer centeraxis, the subassembly does not rotate.  

Siemens Phenom

Hi sdeters,

This is due to the directional sense of the entities selected and the solver. However there is a quick fix to your problem by using the "Reverse Last Constraint" on the Assembly Constraints menu during the creation - it will immediately realign to your default position or more the alignment there of. Have a look at the attached movie. you will see that the component is not rotated it is flipped.

Best Regards

Fred

(view in My Videos)

Phenom
Phenom

"directional sense of the entities"  I do not understand directional sense?  Is there a way we can visual see this?  Or display this?

But using the Reverse constraint will work.  Thanks for the help.

SHane

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@sdeters,

I think he means that some entities have orientations - like a line has a start and end or a plane has positive and negative direction. If you pick near the end of a line, that might cause the directions to be reversed compared to picking at the start end. Same goes for faces, theoretical centerlines/axes, etc.

I'm not sure about being able to display it onscreen.  I just get into the habit of looking for the reverse direction (dark blue arrows pointing opposite directions) or alternate solution (3 arrows arranged in a circular pattern pointing at numbers 1, 2, 3) buttons when dealing with constraints and using those icons to see if the results are what I want or not.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.5.1

Siemens Phenom

Hi sdeters,

I'm sorry if I was unclear but @TimF clarifies well.

Tank you Tim!

Best Regards

Fred

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom
@Sandman,

Not a problem - thanks for all of your help around here as well.
Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.5.1