Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly Constraints with spheres

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

Hello all,

I'm building some of our test cases in NX and we came to the ball joint test case. We have tried several ways of applying constraints but it doesn't seem correct.

Sphere Constraint_1.png

I just recently tried to use Touch Constraint with using center points. I also recreated the ball joint and sockets in NX but ended up just using points. Additionally, using other constraints, such as Center Constraint, which uses 2 to 4 features.

What's the best constraint to use when creating a ball joint-type method?

Is there a forum for constraints and joints?

Thanks,

Jason

3 REPLIES

Re: Assembly Constraints with spheres

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

If both the ball and socket have spheres, I'd use Touch Align, and filter to use the "arc/ellipse/sphere center" of each of them.  Note, you have to use the "point dialog" button for each sphere.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

Thanks for the answer. I've been trying multiple different solutions and couldn't see a way to get the desired answer.

Do you have an idea what Center Constraint would be used for? I have to pick at least 3 features to get a solution, but axis to axis would seem like a pretty clear solution, if using this constraint.

Thanks,

Jason

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

If you are putting a pin in a slot, you could use the Center 2-1 option, pick two sides to the slot, then 1 center line of the pin, for example.  fwiw, you could use 1-2 for that, and reverse the order.  If its a flat sided pin,  you could use 2-2, select each side of the slot, then each side of the pin.  Center can be a bit confusing.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10