Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly and parts STL export in NX

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello Forum,

I have an assembly build in NX v11. Due to external requirements I have to export the assembly in STL.

Is there an option to export each and all  parts associated with the assembly to different STL exports without opening each part separetly and exporting. Is this possible?

I have already the STL export of the whole assembly but I would need all the parts in STL too.

Thank you

3 REPLIES

Re: Assembly and parts STL export in NX

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @AlvaroC,

There aren't interactive solutions, but you can complete this task using a program.  Solution Center has several examples - here's one: Sample NX Open .NET C# program : export each root component to stl

Save the source code in the above example as export_each_root_component_to_stl.cs

Select "Tools -> Journal -> Play", browse for the C# source code (set Files of type to "*.cs") and Run the program.  The program will prompt you to define a target directory.

I just tested it in NX11 and it successfully exported all of the components in my assembly as individual stl's.

Hope that helps.

Regards, Ben

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello @BenBroad,

thank you for the reply and the code. I tried it with a small assembly and it didn't export all parts correctly. A couple of them have like 1kb size and are "empty" when I try to import it back.

Could it be linked to the export settings in the code?

Thank you,

Alvaro

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @AlvaroC,

Have you tried to manually export the components, that the code is creating as empty stl files, to see if the same result occurs interactively?  It could be the geometry rather than the code.

The code appears to be pretty straight forward, it walks down the structure and exports the solid bodies from each component.  Since the code does not include any options assume that the default settings are used (for Chordal & Angular tolerance, etc).  While the code fully loads the assembly it was necessary to manually complete this step in older versions of NX, this should not be the case for NX11.

There are other sample programs in Solution Center that you could try out.  They are all published as 'examples' from which programmers can build upon, so while they may work for one case they may not for another.

If you're willing to upload your small assembly I can see if I get similar results and try to determine why those components failed to export correctly.

Regards, Ben