Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly constraint behavior

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

When trying to use the Distance constraint for assembling components together, the default value is something like "1763.3228" mm and it almost always tries to add the component in the wrong direction (so that the two components are interferring).  Is it possible to change the default value so that the components at least kind of appear side by side instead of always having to zoom out to see where the component is?  And is it also possible to change a setting so that two solid components by default are not trying to share the same space?  Thanks

7 REPLIES

Re: Assembly constraint behavior

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Guessing... This is a dialog memory issue.

Try resetting the dialog before using it?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks @Ken_A for the recommendation.  That did make sense, but unfortunately it didn't work.  Even after clearing the dialogue, the next default value for distance offset was something like 935.34598.  I have no idea why it would do that. 

Siemens Creator Siemens Creator
Siemens Creator

Guessing...
Does the zoom level, or size of parts on screen, affect the offset value that you get when resetting the dialogue?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@LarsMEriksson, I really don't know.  I can be zoomed in and it will give a default value of 1493.8535, even though I'm assembling components that may be only 5.2mm across.  Seems completely random to me.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

If clearing the dialog doesn't permanently fix it, it could be that your dialog memory file (default location = "C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Siemens\<NX version>\DialogMemory.dlx") and/or user.mtx (default location in same folder) and/or registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Unigraphics Solutions\NX\<NX VERSION>) has become corrupt.

Clearing it involves deleting/renaming those files/keys (but note: doing that gets rid of ALL your customizations to window layout, etc. which is why you should save a role periodically when you know things are "good")

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @s_hightower,

Not sure if this helps, but you could try disabling "Dynamic Positioning" in the Settings of the Assembly Constraints dialog to prevent the component from shooting off into space, which would at least give you an opportunity to edit the distance and then check the option back on.

Screenshot - 12_8_2017 , 7_44_31 AM.png

Regarding your question about components occupying the same space, there is no such option to prevent this, though the Assembly Constraints dialog could use something like the Move dialog which has Collision Detection capabilities.  I had a quick look through our enhancement requests and didn't find anything related, so you might want to consider contacting GTAC to suggest this as a new ER.

Regards, Ben

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the recommendations.  I appreciate it.   I have taken note to review and work with these tips next week.  I'll post an update to see how it worked out.  Thanks