Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly constraints, Next higher level references possible?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,  While working in a sub-assembly of a larger assembly, is it possible to add components to the sub-assembly but have them reference features in the main assembly?  For example, If the screw and DIN rail pictured below were in a sub-assembly, could I reference the hole that is in main assembly?  I'd like for the mounting hardware to reference the mounting holes, that way - if the holes locations move, the screws would move too.  Thanks

ref.JPG

12 REPLIES

Re: Assembly constraints, Next higher level references possible?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

Probably Wave linking could be one of the options. 

Best Regards

Kapil

Phenom
Phenom

What about the rail? Is it moving too?

If not, what is the logic? How are you going to control that the screw isn’t falling outside of a slot in the rail?

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

One option is position override. This allows the top level assembly to position a component in a subassembly independently from the rest of the subassembly.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@cowski1, is this option available in NX 10?  I couldn't find it.  Maybe I just missed it.  Thanks

@mike_fdo, for sake of simplicity for this question I was just wanting to see if this type of option was available.  I believe I had this option in a different CAD software, so was stuggling to find a simple option or even a "work around" for NX.  Thanks

Yes, position override has been available for a long time. Here is a link to the NX 10 docs:

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/10.0.3/nx_help/#uid:func_details_repo_variable

Right click on the component you want to override, the option should show up in the pop up menu.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

Override Position can be found here.

over1.jpgBest Regards

Kapil

Phenom
Phenom

@s_hightower You must be refering to Flexible Subassembly function in the other software. I haven't seen similar option in NX.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks @cowski1, I initially typed "position override" in the command finder, but it got the reply back:  "No Matches for: position override".  I believe I also checked "position" and "override", but didn't find anything.  I continue searching.  Thanks

It may only show up in the component right click pop up menu, making it invisible to the command finder. I've edited my previous reply with the command location.

edit: see @kapilsharma's screenshot.