Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly constraints in sub-assembly do not carry through to upper level assembly.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Working in a sub-assembly, I completely constrain a component.  When I make the upper level assembly the displayed part and work part, that component is still in the old, unconstrained position, even though the new constraints are visible.  What do I need to do to update the higher level assembly so that the component is located properly, as defined in the sub-assembly?  Thanks.

4 REPLIES

Re: Assembly constraints in sub-assembly do not carry through to upper level assembly.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

How is the sub assembly constrained? 
The constraints only position the component in its direct parent. If you constrain a component and then make the higher level the work part then you will need to constrain the sub assembly in its own parent.

I hope I understood your question/case correctly.

Regards, **bleep**

Re: Assembly constraints in sub-assembly do not carry through to upper level assembly.

Pioneer
Pioneer

The component is completely constrained in the sub-assembly, to parts that are in the same sub-assembly.  But when I open the upper level assembly, the component is out of position in the sub-assembly.

I looked at the Position column in Assembly Navigator and it says that the constraints have an "implicit override".  I think that if I figure out how to get rid of the implicit override, it might work.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

An implicit override is always related to an explicit override. You must have overridden another component form the same subassembly. When you override a component, components that are constrained to the component you override also get overridden (implicitly).

Press the right mouse button on the component with the override and remove the override. The option is on the context menu and that will remove the implicit override of the other component.

You can also remove the constraints between the explicit and the implicit overridden components. You probably see constraints with an up arrow in the assembly part. Those are copied up from the subassembly.

With this you should now have enough clues now to sort it out. You can refer to documentation for more details.

Regards, **bleep**

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thank you.  It worked.