Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly constraints

Builder
Builder

Hello,

I'm trying to assemble a runout setup with vee-blocks. One of the vee-blocks is bigger in height, which also tilts the shaft slightly.

In Solidworks I could just select an edge of the vee-blocks and make a "touch" constraint, which made it possible to angle the shaft. I can't seem to do the same thing in NX 11.0.  I could create an angled constraint but that seems like a lot of work for what is supposed to be an easy to do thing.

So any advice on which constraints to use to make the shaft lay in both vee-blocks that alter in height?

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES

Re: Assembly constraints

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

A picture would help.

Regards, **bleep**

Builder
Builder

I can't seem to figure out constraints that make the shaft lay in both the vee blocks. Right side (vee block) is slightly higher.

2017-02-24 08_03_41-NX 11 - Modeling - [Assembly.prt].jpg

Siemens Phenom

Hi,

It is possible to do this.

In theory you would have to align the edges of the blocks with the cylinder face, but in reality this turns out to be somewhat complicated for the constraints solver. We can help the solver by telling it we expect the shaft to be in the middle. Now only two constraints are needed to constrain the shaft face to the edges on the block.

I recorded a movie to show you.

Regards, **bleep**

(view in My Videos)

Builder
Builder

First of all: Thanks very much for helping!

Second: I seem to be missing a codec for this website or my company's network is blocking the video possibly. I can't see the video (blank page). Tried with different browsers and with proxy.

2017-02-24 09_23_21-Re_ Assembly constraints - Siemens PLM Community - 393216 .jpg

Siemens Phenom

I do not know what is going on. 

You could try the TSCC codec from https://www.techsmith.com/codecs.html

Builder
Builder

Thanks again. Unfortunately I still can't see the video. 

I will try to find a solution!

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
fyi, I had no problem viewing the video with Google Chrome