Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly cut not cutting parts with patterned features?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I'm trying to use assembly cut to cut an assembly for an FEA analysis, but for some reason some of the parts (ones containing patterned features in particular) are not being cut, even though they are selected (or appear to be at least). Any idea why that is? I'm guessing there's some setting I've missed, but I haven't been able to figure it out.  Below is an example of the issue (with a one part assembly). Thanks for any help.

assembly_cut_issue.png

5 REPLIES

Re: Assembly cut not cutting parts with patterned features?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @pkelecy,

Per the docs on Assembly Cut:

Target bodies that are completely inside the tool body are not eliminated during the subtract operation. They do not cause the failure that occurs when a target body is completely inside a tool body during most modeling operations.

You should just be able to hide the components if you don't want them displayed.

Regards, Ben

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Well, this is really disappointing news. Hiding the instances won't work because the number if instances is going to vary parametrically. Any other work arounds? The only other thing I can think to do is to revise the part models so no assembly cutting is required. But I was hoping to avoid that, as that would be a fair amount of work. I hope there's another way.

Thanks for the help.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I am not in front of the computer right now, so i cant be sure, but maybe promoting body you can use a boolean feature

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank Javiduc.  I don't link promote body will work either.  I've noticed that if I just create a circular pattern of a feature and then try to remove some of the instances using an extrude with Boolean subtract, it doesn't work.

I have to say, I'm really disappointed with this limitation.  It really caught me by surprise and derailed how I was planning to do this work.  And, to be honest, I'm really puzzled why it even exists.  It's certainly not a limitation of the parasolid kernal.  Both Solid Edge and SolidWords use the same kernal, and both can do this type of operation with NO problem.  And I can't honestly see any functional benefit to it either.  If I really want to exclude certain components or features from being cut, I can either alter the tool part or just not select them during the selection step. So why does assembly cut function like this? 

Does anyone know if an ER has been submitted for fixing this?  If so, any idea when that might happen?  

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have tried today without success, and I also think it should be improved. Maybe it is something related with the way NX handle multiple bodies because I also find a problem when normal hole feature cant run through different bodies.