Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly file cleanup

Phenom
Phenom

Hello,

I am looking for suggestion on how you deal with component files. For example, you make a component unique, or do a "save as" and rename the file, the original file still resides, but is no longer used. Is there a utility that can identify the files no longer being used and possibly flag, or move them to another directory. I understand that allowing the system to just delete them could be a disaster. I am trying to get rid of redundant files. I know I can list the components used and compare manually, but am curious how others handle it. 

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP10 Primarily CAM
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Assembly file cleanup

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @TechniCsNC

You can use clone assembly to make a copy of your assembly and currently used components in a new directory.

Then you can simply delete the original assembly directory with those unwanted components.

Regards.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

If you (relatively) easily want to see what components an assembly uses, you can run the ugpc.exe utility

NX 10 & lower: %UGII_ROOT_DIR%\ugpc.exe

NX 11 & up: %UGII_BASE_DIR%\NXBIN\ugpc.exe

use -h argument for detailed help

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Phenom
Phenom

Thanks @Ken_A, I will look into this. 

@robot139  I just tested and cloning works well. Only issue is it seems to want a rename of the files, but I can live with that. 

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP10 Primarily CAM

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Here's a trick:

In the clone name rule specify "suffix" and enter a single space character as the suffix to use. NX will accept that as a new name but will strip off the trailing space, leaving the original name intact. Be careful with this as keeping multiple files with the same base name around (in different folders) will become difficult to manage.