cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assign Feature Color defaults back to previous color

Experimenter
Experimenter

We use Face Color Attributes to define part tolerances so we dont have to make make prints (the feature colors are always assigned at the part level, not the assembly level). Therefore it is paramount that the face attributes remain as assigned. After I have used Assign Feature Color to edit the face colors of an object it will sometimes default back to the previous colors after subsequent modeling, editing features, or rebuilding of the model.

Not sure how to avoid this, but it can be time consuming, not to mention causing manufacturing issues if its not caught when it happens.

Can anyone explain why this happens, and how to avoid it.

Thanks.  

3 REPLIES

Re: Assign Feature Color defaults back to previous color

Hi @Mark_62,

As name itself suggests 'Assign Feature Color' applies color to those faces that are produced by that particular feature. If you expand the dialog (with more options), you will see that all features from part navigator will be listed there so that you can apply different color to each feature or a single color to all features at once. 

If a new feature is added then it will not inherit color from previous/parent feature to which feature color is applied already.

If you use assign feature color and then apply different color to individual faces then it will get lost upon the model update.

Ganesh Kadole, QA Analyst (PLM), SQS
Testing: NX 10 | NX 11 | TCIN
TC 11.2 | TC Vis 11.3 | AWC 3.2

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for the explanation. I will be more aware of how and when I use it.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Did you find a standard to follow somewhere for color coding tolerances or did you develop your own?  Do you do the same for surface finish or machined vs cast surfaces? What about tapped holes? 

Thanks

Allen