cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assign Minimum Bend Radius in NX Mechanical Routing

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi, for Tubing Stock, the material we use is very rigid and have a different Minimum Bend Radius value which is much different than the standard which will be managed by "CURVE_MIN_BEND_RADIUS_COEFF" from APP View file.

While qualifying a stock part (add as Stock), is there a way where I can specify a different Minimum Bend Radius value for that specific stock ? Please clarify.

14 REPLIES

Re: Assign Minimum Bend Radius in NX Mechanical Routing

Genius
Genius

You can create your own bend tables and import them when setting the corner type.

bend.jpg

! 1st column == Stock diameter
! 2nd column == Bend Radius
!
TABLE unison bend table 10000psi inconel 625
0.2500 0.5964
0.3750 1.0735
0.5000 1.2988
0.5625 1.6047
0.6250 1.6409
0.7500 2.0118
1.0000 5.3259
END_OF_TABLE

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hello,

There's another reply that talks about Bend Radius tables.  That applies to a configuration where you'd like to create bends with a standard pre-configured radius but that the user could still create bends of a different radius without error.

But your question seems to imply that you really want a way for NX to check when a stock is bent too sharply.  That is, with a radius smaller than specified minimum radius.  For this case, you can add an attribute MIN_BEND_RADIUS to the stock table file, .ptb.  This value can be different for each stock in the ptb file.  This overrides the more general ratio check value that you referenced.  I see this documented specifically for wiring stock, but it works with any stock.  And for both spline paths, like a hose, and for linear paths, like for rigid bent tubing.

In NX12, we've added an adminstrative function Refresh Stock Definitions that can update existing stocks to new attributes and values from the ptb.  Routing uses the definition of any currently loaded stock when making new stocks.  This was done for portability of the files.  But it does mean that prior to this function, you'll need to delete any existing stocks, close NX, then recreate the stocks, unfortunately.

Also in NX12, new Bend Radius tables functionality is available.  Now you can configure a single excel format file with all stocks and all applicable bends in a single file.  So users won't have to load the right bend table for each type, and multiple bends for each stock can be configured.  So you might have a preferred larger bend radius, but an acceptable smaller bend if space requires.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks Doug, adding MIN_BEND_RADIUS to .ptb is the exact solution I am looking for.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks Joewhite for the reply, actually the tubes are very rigid and the Min bend radius is 20D (D=tube OD), and with the default check, even if we bend them more, we are not getting any error as the default check is set to a different value. As mentioned by Dough in his post, my requirement is to lock the minimum bend radius to a specific value and over and above that value NX should accept.

Siemens Pioneer Siemens Pioneer
Siemens Pioneer

2017-11-06 12_51_58-NX11.0 for Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy - Routing Mechanical - [D8000130_001-.pngHi -

regarding the minimum bend radius, I think this thread is very interesting....

To be able to defined each individual min bend radius in the PTB file, is exactly what I am also is looking for.

I have tried this now - but I seems like NX(11) does not raise a warning or error, if I "drag" some stock on a splinePath, which contains "smaller radius" than the one defined in the PTB file....please see screenShot...

Do I need to play with some other settings in nx routing config, to get it working as expected....?

lklo

Siemens Pioneer

forgot to place a screenShot of the defining PTB file (just a test PTB file for some stock in Mech)...

minimum_bend_radius_ptbfile.png

Genius
Genius

Sorry if this is obvious question, but did you restart NX.

Siemens Pioneer

hi - Thank's for your reply....

Yeahh - I first tried to reload library...that doesn't get it to work...

Then I fired up a brandNew session...but with same result..I can't get to work....

Genius
Genius

Does the Interactive Check report the violation?