Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Associativie WCS in arrangements

I have insert a part (a steel plate) into an assembly. The part has some arrangements in it. Each arrangement shows a different X-position of the steel plate with respect to the absolute WCS. In the assembly I have added a WCS in the middle of the top surface op the plate. During creation of this WCS the option "Create interpart link" was switched on. If now another arrangement of the plate will be selected, the plate moves in X-direction as expected but the WCS stays where it is.

Does anyone have a solution to arrange that the WCS (created in the assembly) follows the plate all the time independing of what arrangement is selected??

Steel plate.png

10 REPLIES

Re: Associativie WCS in arrangements

Are you creating a "WCS" or a "Datum CSYS" (looks to me like the latter) 

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be steemed than diseaseled

In this case it's a Datum CSYS.

I don't have access to NX at the time. But maybe look at defining some expressions for the X,Y,Z coordinates and then drive the location of the Datum CSYS with those expressions? I don't if it can be done but maybe worth looking into.

Hello Ryan,

Thanks for your info. I already made some expressions and was planning to do it like the way you suggested. But in my opinion it's not possible to use a different value for an expression for each arrangement. Or, is it possible??

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joost
‎12-07-2016 02:03 AM

Hi,

If you are not bounded by the concept of creating CSYS in the main assembly itself then try creating a seperate (non-reference) component having only the CSYS. Then create a Touch-Align constraint between the CSYS component and the Plate CSYS (like in the middle).

Constraints can be arrangement driven .

Best Regards

Kapil

Hello Kapil,

I have been thinking about a seperate component with only a WCS in it already. However, the release proces at my company doesn't allow you to release an assembly which contains unreleased components. So also the seperate part needs to be released and that is not possible right now.

Thanks for your advise anyway.

Kind regards,

Joost

Is there a reason you can't create the datum CSYS in the component?

You can use layers/reference sets to make it visible (or not) as needed.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be steemed than diseaseled

I can add the WCS into the component itself (the steel plate). However, on assembly level in one of the arrangements the plate will be moved in X-direction and it will be rotated 180 degrees around the Z-axis. The WCS I have added into the assembly must follow the movement in X-direction, but it may not follow the rotation. The WCS will be used to place another component onto the steel plate, that's why.

Why not use "arrangement specific constraints" to position the other component to the plate?