Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attaching "manual" balloons - stacked balloons

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Is there a way to attach manually placed balloons so that the balloons will be tangent with each other?  At this point, I can get the balloons to align horizontally, but I can't get the balloon lines to be tangent.  I'd like to be able to have the balloons attached so that if I dragged one balloon, the other one would drag with it and stay attached "tangently".  At this point, the balloons will stay aligned, but become separated.  For initially placement, I pretty much have to "eyeball" it as well to get them close together.  It would be nice if they could snap together - and stay together.  Thanks

balloons.JPG balloons moved.JPG

11 REPLIES

Re: Attaching "manual" balloons - stacked balloons

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Make sure to set the Horizontal Stacking setting for the first balloon to 0 (zero). Then, when you create the second balloon, stack it horizontally with the first one. When you drag the first balloon around, the second will follow. But if you drag the second balloon, it will detach from the first and move by itself. See attached AVI.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I do have the horizontal stacking set to zero; but when I drag the first balloon around the second balloon will stay horizontally attached, but it will not stay connected with the other balloon.  The snapshot in my initial post shows how they drift apart. 

Siemens Phenom

Is the Horizontal Stacking set to zero for both balloons? Or just the first balloon?

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

If they drift apart, they have been horizontally aligned, but not stacked. Drag the manual balloon around near the controlling balloon until you get a dotted box around both balloons, now when you release the mouse button, the balloons will be stacked. If you get a horizontal line connecting the balloons, that indicates horizontal alignment but not vertical alignment; keep dragging until you get the box.

See the animation on the help page:

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/10/nx_help/#uid:ann_stacking

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I tried it with the horizontal stacking set to zero for just the first balloon and tried it for both balloons.  Unfortunately, it acted the same way each time.  I also notice that when I place the second balloon, it doesn't seem to "notice" the first balloon.  (The first balloon doesn't light up as an option to attach it.)  So I drop the second balloon off by the first one, cancel out of the balloon creation window and then go in and try to attach the second balloon to the first one.  Even with that, I still have to move the balloon around and it almost seems random for how the first balloon finally lights up and I can attach it.  At first, I just attributed this to just being very unuser friendly, but am hoping there is something else going on.

Siemens Phenom

Make sure the Stack Annotation option is set for both balloons. If not, they won't stack together.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

OK, those explanations helped.  I did have them stacked earlier, but it wasn't set to zero, so there was always a gap.  I then got them just "aligned" but they didn't stay together.  Setting the values to zero and then making sure they were stacked - with the "box" showing they were stacked did the trick.  Thanks!

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Is there a separate gap clearance for balloons and text; so that balloons can be connected/stacked tangent to balloons, but text will still have a gap when stacked to a balloon?  After changing my drafting preferences to have the aligned spacing zero, balloons work out great, but text is now (as expected) right on the balloon.  (Yes, I know that I wouldn't use a "2X" in this situation, but it could be some other text).  Thanks

BALLOON.JPG

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Go to the settings for that particular note and change the vertical stacking gap factor to the desired value. It will change the value for that particular note, but not any other annotation.